Topic: R&R '49 Overdrive Cable

fsacht    -- 03-25-2013 @ 11:28 AM
  My overdrive cable is bound up in its housing. There is insufficient clearance to permit access to the retainer at the transmission end. Is there a floor pan access panel or other way to remove and then replace the cale assembly?

supereal    -- 03-26-2013 @ 1:52 PM
  Are you sure the cable is bound in the housing, or is the shift rail stuck? There is a cam in the transmission housing that moves the rail to the rear, which locks the OD, so the vehicle can be put into reverse. If the rail is stuck, it is likely that the OD and transmission will have to come out.

fsacht    -- 03-26-2013 @ 3:39 PM
  I do know that I'm unable to pull the cable out using the T handle at the instrument panel. Getting under the car I'm able to rotate the lever to which the cable is attached a small amount away from the stop cast into the trans housing using my channelock plier. I haven't attempted to rotate the lever through it's full travel, fearing I may not get it back to the full overdive position. A prior owner broke the cable housing at the IP bracket and had it brazed just forward of a nut that appears to be the detail that secures cable assy to brkt. In any case. The cable at trans end has frame member components such that I can't get my hand or tools to it from the bottom. Thinking there might be a floorpan access panel from the top. How do I get access to remove and replace the ferrule holding the cable end?

supereal    -- 03-26-2013 @ 6:57 PM
  If you don't want to pull the unit, I'd pull out the mat and make an access. The mat will cover it. Given the repair you mention, I suspect the former owner had control problems and broke the cable housing trying to fix it. I hope I'm wrong, but I've seen that kind of thing more than a few times.

This message was edited by supereal on 3-27-13 @ 10:16 AM

TomO    -- 03-27-2013 @ 7:31 AM
  Before you cut a hole in the floorboard, ask the question on the shoebox forum.

Tom

fsacht    -- 03-28-2013 @ 7:00 PM
  Went to the Shoebox forum and got quick answer. The floorpan has a large access panel. Thanks. Was not aware of that forum.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5864