Topic: Dearborn listings?

jim5618    -- 03-25-2013 @ 9:30 AM
  Are there any records kept on how many Dearborn award winning cars there are out there for a particular model? I am just curious how many 32 tudor Dearborn winners there are out there. No mine isn't close, but it is a long term goal to shoot for....

CaliforniaBorn36    -- 03-25-2013 @ 8:49 PM
  Excellent question, if I might extend it, is there a listing of the various winners over time that could be used for research purposes?

flatheadfan    -- 03-25-2013 @ 11:52 PM

Add me to the list. I would like to see a listing of "Dearborn Award" cars. Unfortunately, more and more cars are being advertised as being a "Dearborn Award" winner but lack any direct evidence that they were. Worse yet, is if you travel a great distance to look at a "supposed" DA car only to find out it is someone's backwoods beater. In one case I know the seller's response was "That's what I was told."

Tom

TomO    -- 03-26-2013 @ 7:30 AM
  Before you travel to see a Dearborn car ask to see the judging sheet and medallion.

If you wish to see the winners of the Dearborn award, you can find them in the V-8 Times.

Tom

trjford8    -- 03-26-2013 @ 7:44 AM
  In response to Jim's question it may be possible to give numbers. Listing winners names is an entirely different situation. The owners have an expectation of privacy. Having a public listing exposes them to the potential for theft or other unwanted publicity. I realize that the award winners are listed in the V-8 Times, but they are listed with a minimal amount of personal information.
If someone advertises a car for sale and alleges it is a Dearborn car, it is up to the buyer to ask a lot of questions. The award itself belongs to the car and the seller should be able to produce the award. He should also be able to produce the documentation showing that the award belongs to that particular car. Do your homework and ask a lot of questions and look for documentation(proof). I would not buy a Dearborn car based on somebody's word. I would rather miss a good deal than get scammed on a bad one.

37 Coupe    -- 03-26-2013 @ 8:04 AM
  Time changes everything this is showing up more and more. Ads lately in Hemmings and an example currently on the Fordbarn:A 1939 Ford convertible coupe ,Dearborn winner with a 350 chevy engine.

kubes40    -- 03-26-2013 @ 8:24 AM
  I think TRJFORD*'s advice is VERY sound.
I would like to add something though.
Simply because the seller produces the proof (judges sheets, awards, etc) that the car is in fact a Dearborn vehicle means little unfortunately.
I hate to bring this front and center, but the quailty of judges utilized for that show, for that particular vehicle, well, the car may have the award but may be far from deserving.
The previous post in regard to an advertised Dearborn car having a Chevy V8 may have some truth to it(the ad).
I witnessed first hand a 40 coupe a number of years ago with fiberglass fenders that received not one, but two Dearborn awards.
Bottom line? My advice would be to either judge the car for yourself if you feel you are able or find someone who you are confident in and have them judge the car for you.
My personal opinion? Many years ago, it was much more difficult to receive a Dearborn award. With this so called "don't kill the car attitude" being taken far too literally, it seems too many (undeserving)
cars are awarded at levels they simply should not be.
Yes, that effects all of us "serious restorers" on a number of levels.
Oh, one more piece of advice... be aware that a car getting a Dearborn award at 950 points is a far cry in terms of quality and / or authenticity to a car that received 999 points.
Here a rule of thumb to follow is: It takes "X" amount of time and money to get 900 points. It takes twice as much "X" to get to 999 points.

jim5618    -- 03-26-2013 @ 9:44 AM
  From a buyers standpoint. A Dearborn from ten years ago doesn't mean someone hasn't scr*w*d it up since then.

My question is simply from a how many reasonably correct cars are out there. I certainly know not everyone shows at an ev8 meet. I am curious if ther are 50' or 5,000. I have met a lot of people with 32's but seen very few correct enough to meet the minimum for a Dearborn. With the current attitude of just drive it.... I wonder if numbers are declining.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5863