Topic: 21 stud head gaskets

mike39    -- 03-22-2013 @ 2:54 PM
  I have Fel-Pro #7246 head gaskets for a 21 stud engine. They are steel on both sides with fiber in between. My block and head surfaces are good. New studs with sealer on the block end. Should the gaskets be installed dry?

Thanks, Mike

MG    -- 03-22-2013 @ 11:25 PM
  I installed the #7246 Fel-Pro steel clad gaskets on my '34 with aluminum heads just last month. I was hesitant like you and posted my concern on this forum - you can find that thread by searching using my user name 'MG' or the topic title "Head Gasket Type". I INSTALLED THE GASKETS DRY. I did have some slight leakage around some studs but was able to resolve with one small container of Barr's Leak and re-torquing the heads. There have been no leaks since. I'm very pleased with these gaskets.

37coop    -- 03-23-2013 @ 8:30 AM
  h*llo ..iv had various problems over the years with head gaskets "blowing" in my 40 ford and 2 old harleys,my mechanic where i used to work as a lorry(truck)driver (i live in london)advised me to use a seal paste as the mechanics use on the heavy vehicles ,i use it on all joints and its never let me down,it cured my problems i constantly had particularly with the ford .i will go to the garage and post the name of the paste soon ,i am round a coal fire with a nice warming whiskey mac at the moment ,the snow is on the ground ,its freezing cold ,windy and my garage is 40 steps away from the house , i,ll get back to you .thanks ...jim.

37coop    -- 03-23-2013 @ 10:15 AM
  the paste i described is called... stag wellseal jointing compound... ,its like a very thick treacle to be brushed to both surfaces and tightened to the correct torque,i can get it here no problem ,maybe if you decide to try it you can get it on internet ,no guarantees but recommended by my heavy truck mechanics and it works for me , good luck,,jim.

supereal    -- 03-23-2013 @ 11:55 AM
  If your heads have been resurfaced, and there are no nicks or cracks in the block surface, dry gaskets are OK. If in doubt, use the copper bearing spray available at most parts stores. Put a light coat on each side of the gaskets. Most cylinder heads are warped, and having them resurfaced aids in getting a good, leak free installation. Only enough removed to clear the surface is necessary. I wouldn't use anything with a paste consistancy. Retorque the heads after a hundred miles. Adding Barr's Leaks after opening the engine is a good practice to avoid leaks.

mike39    -- 03-23-2013 @ 12:04 PM
  My heads are nos. Had them cleaned and checked by my machinist. Block had a very light cut across the decks. So all surfaces are good. I have never built an engine with these steel type gaskets, makes me nervous. Mike

JM    -- 03-23-2013 @ 1:45 PM
  I prefer to use compostion head gaskets made by "Best Gasket Co."

JM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5856