Topic: 39.d.l coupe,le baron bonney headlining

37coop    -- 03-22-2013 @ 1:33 PM
  h*llo ..i tore my 39 d.l coupe apart 23 years ago,i,m on the back end of finishing a total restoration and i am at the interior fitting stage,i bought a l.b.b kit around 12 years ago ,i havnt any memory of how it came apart and i have instructions with the kit and most of it seems straight forward but i,m concerned about fitting the headlining particularly around the front screen,there are remnents of a strip of card type material held on with pointed shards of metal bent to hold the card type in place above and at the top sides of the screen ,i assume the headlining is tacked onto this ,how is the wiper on /off lever put through the headlining ?....its one of the jobs i have been dreading , bodywork..mechanics no problem but this is outside my comfort zone,i havnt started the headlining yet ,just having the nightmares, hope somebody can help , thanks ...jim.

trjford8    -- 03-22-2013 @ 8:09 PM
  Your coupe has a header panel which is covered by headliner material. There are holes in the panel for the wiper controls. The header panel also covers up the front of the headliner where it attaches towards the front of the windshield. There is a tack strip at the front of the roof that allows you to staple the headliner to it. This strip can be purchased from Drake and other suppliers. To attach this strip to the front portion of the roof I use "pop rivets".

37coop    -- 03-23-2013 @ 4:41 AM
  hi trj...no header panel with mine ,if it had one when i dismantled it i would have stored it , i cant remember what it looked like in that area its so long ago ,today we all take loads of digital photos ,can it be purchased from drake etc?,regarding the tack strip i have made one and steam bent it to fit around the edges so i am quite happy there ,maybe somebody can place a photo of the header panel onto the site ,bit of a puzzle , many thanks again , jim.

37coop    -- 03-23-2013 @ 6:26 AM
  i have just read through the le baron bonney instructions for the headlining ,1937 through 1940,it states that on the later models without a header panel hook the forward headliner bow over the sheet metal hook at the centre of the roof.i dont know if it means my car regarding "later models" and if so i realy dont understand the instructions, its the old classic of putting something together 23 years after its been taken apart aint good , thanks .

40 Coupe    -- 03-23-2013 @ 7:05 AM
  LB has a list of upholstery shops, some may be in your area, that install their kits. See their web site.

37coop    -- 03-23-2013 @ 7:24 AM
  thanks 40 coupe but i live in the u.k london ,thanks again.

trjford8    -- 03-23-2013 @ 8:05 PM
  37coop, I have to apologize as my instructions were for a 37 coupe and I forgot you were asking about a 39 coupe. The 39 does not have a header panel as the headliner is attached at the front of the body and the staples/tacks are covered by the garnish molding. The wiper control passes through a grommet that is fastened into the headliner.

37coop    -- 03-24-2013 @ 2:53 AM
  wow thanks trj...my head has been spinning with that one, my wife reckons it will come together o.k ,its just i have been dreading the headlining job as its a first for me ,the lbb instructions seem a bit vague but one step at a time should do it ,many thanks again to all ....onwards and upwards , regards jim.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5855