Topic: Steering damper

Lenny    -- 03-21-2013 @ 7:58 AM
  I have some minor tracking problems with my 37 when going over potholes or RR tracks. Temporary left right shift.
I purchased a steering damper from SO-CALspeed shop
to help this wobble.
The instructions are poor at best as to how to instal the damper.
Any suggestions from the experts as to how to best tackle this installation? Lenny

supereal    -- 03-21-2013 @ 1:50 PM
  If the front end of your car is correct, a damper shouldn't be necessary. Wobble, or shimmy, is almost always due to worn king pins, weak or inoperative shock absorbers, or incorrect toe in adjustment. The caster and camber are fixed on old Fords, but worn and loose spring shackles can also be blamed. Finally, excessive runout of wheels on either end of the vehicle due to a bent rim and/or an out of round rim or tire should be checked. Be sure that there is no excess play in the tie rod ends or steering gear, including the pitman arm. A damper is merely a crutch, and the cause of your problem should be found and corrected before adding it, to prevent an unsafe condition. Have someone rock the steering wheel back and fourth as you observe these possible causes.

Old Henry    -- 03-21-2013 @ 5:37 PM
  If your steering seems at all stiff and difficult to turn the wheel, especially at slow speeds like while parking, the steering damper is only going to make that worse.

Bias ply tires are notorious for tracking weird. If you're running those that could be part of the tracking problem in addition to all of the things Supereal said.

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

TomO    -- 03-22-2013 @ 7:53 AM
  I agree that tracking problems are usually caused by worn parts in the steering controls.

Jack up one front wheel and try to turn it left to right of the car. If you have any movement, you have worn tie rod ends or drag link ends.

Next try to move the wheel by grabbing the top and bottom of the tire and push with one hand while pulling with the other. If there is any movement your king pins are worn or your wheel bearings need adjustment.

Repeat the tests on the other wheel and repair any worn parts.

Worn tires and tire pressure can also affect tracking over bumps.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 3-22-13 @ 7:54 AM

woodiewagon46    -- 03-22-2013 @ 11:10 AM
  I agree with all of the above suggestions about your front end. If you want to install the damper I believe it comes with mounting hardware doesn't it?
One end of the damper should go to an anchor point such as the frame or the radius rod and the other end clamps to the tie-rod. It basically is a miniature shock absorber or piston type damper to eliminate front end shimmy. Take some time to jack up your car and go over your suspension!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5848