Topic: 1942 Ford Woody Serial Number Location

sstoutster    -- 03-19-2013 @ 7:01 PM
  I inherited this car it has been in the family since 1952 purchased from Fort Washington Ford outside of Philadelphia. I am having trouble locating the serial number there is a tag in the engine compartment but there are no imprinted numbers on it. I'm afraid that the serial numbers where painted over. Any suggestions as to where or how I can locate the serial number?
Thanks
Steve

4dFordSC    -- 03-19-2013 @ 7:08 PM
  It's stamped into the top of the left (driver) side front rail in the vicinity of the front cross member. It may take some cleaning and scr*ping to see it. There should be a star on either end of the number. The plate riveted to the firewall contains Ford patent numbers.

sstoutster    -- 03-19-2013 @ 7:11 PM
  4dFordSC,
Thanks I will look for it this weekend.
Steve

42wagon    -- 03-20-2013 @ 3:49 AM
  Steve
One other place to look is the top of the transmission just above the little inspection door. If the car has been in your family since 1952 and no one has modified it the chances are pretty good it still has the original transmission. The serial number was stamped on the transmission at the Rouge engine plant and then transferred to the frame at the assembly plant.

You should be able to find the number on the frame but try to use paint remover and a soft rag instead of something more aggressive as the number can be easily lost by hard scr*ping. For the number on the transmission you will need to remove the floor mat and removable floor section.

The tag you mention is a silk screened patent plate. The numbers on it are interesting but of no value for any of our purposes. You also should find a large stamped number near the voltage regulator. The station wagon bodies were built at the Iron Mountain Michigan plant and were stamped sequentially for each year. Interesting to determine when during the model year the body was built but of no other value.

Keep in mind that the 42 Model year was cut short in February 1942 and relatively few cars were built. A 42 station wagon is especially rare as most of them were driven to death during the war by the military or civilian organizations such as the Red Cross. Keep it original if possible as only around 40 are known to exist.
Ted

sstoutster    -- 03-21-2013 @ 5:34 PM
  4dFordSC,
Steve

sstoutster    -- 03-21-2013 @ 5:35 PM
  4dFordSC,
Steve

sstoutster    -- 03-21-2013 @ 5:40 PM
  42 Wagon,

Wow that's pretty cool I never knew it was that rare. Thanks so much.I have been traveling for work so much and will finally be able to get to work on the car.

Steve

sstoutster    -- 03-30-2013 @ 1:01 PM
  Well I found the serial number here it is *86798787

Thanks
Steve

Checked the trans and it's 18 6798787

This message was edited by sstoutster on 3-30-13 @ 1:41 PM

johnh6813    -- 03-30-2013 @ 5:39 PM
  Could you please post the woodie body # ,it is stamped into the fire wall left side close to the voltage regulator .I have a 46 woodie it has 42 dash trim ,the body # is 163 it would have been made june july 1945.John.

sstoutster    -- 03-31-2013 @ 4:58 PM
  The body style number is 547. Does anyone know the stats of this car when and where it was built etc. Thanks for your help.

42wagon    -- 04-01-2013 @ 3:33 AM
  Steve
All station wagon bodies were built at the Iron Mountain Michigan wood working plant and then shipped to an assembly plant for final assembly. What you are looking at is not a style number. That would be 79B. The bodies were stamped with a sequential number at Iron Mountain for each year. Your number indicates the body was fairly early in the 42 model run. A good indication of when the car was actually assembled would be the engine serial number or the numbers and letters in the little etched ovals on the window glass. These numbers would pre-date the final assembly by a month or so. Unfortunately any records of which assembly plant might have assembled your car do not exist. However depending on where you are in the country you might assume that the car was assembled at the nearest assembly plant.
Ted

sstoutster    -- 04-08-2013 @ 7:36 AM
  Thanks Ted

Henryat1140    -- 04-18-2013 @ 3:01 PM
  It's very nice you were able to locate the serial number on the frame. Even nicer that it still has the original transmission and number.

Best luck with your project.

woodiewagon46    -- 04-19-2013 @ 6:51 AM
  sstoutster, You should join the National Woodie Club, it will put you in touch with other woodie owners and club advisors that can answer all of your questions. There is also a great book "Famous Ford Woodies" by Loren Sorenson, full of facts about Ford Woodies. I'm sure over time you will find you have a real gem.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5844