Topic: Rewiring a 1950 Ford (4-door)

EWATERS    -- 01-10-2010 @ 4:55 PM
  I previously posted a discussion on rewiring my "50 Ford. The general gist of the responses seem to suggest it isn't very hard. This makes me think of that old song with lyrics "...easy for you; difficult for me..." Nevertheless, I may have to try. As I look at the task (dreading the effort) I found a cluster of wires entering the front port-side door windshield post and extending, apparently through the roof to the tail-lights. Has anyone successfully fished wires through this area without removing the cloth ceiling liner. I hope the answer is YES and that it "isn't difficult." Perhaps this is wishful thinking.

trjford8    -- 01-10-2010 @ 7:57 PM
  Cut the old harness in the left cowl leaving enough wire so you can attach the new harness to the old wires. Attach securely and then go to the trunk area and pull out the old harness and at the same time it will pull in the new one. It helps if you have someone at the cowl to help feed the new wire through to you. I'm not familiar with the dome/courtesy light on a 50 fordor. If they are like the tudor/coupe and are located in the door post then you need to take them loose and disconnect the wire, as this wire will pull out with the old harness. With the door post lights I think the right wire is a separate wire and it runs down the right side of the roof to the right cowl. If the dome light is in the center of the headliner this creates another problem. You may have to partially loosen a part of the headliner in order to disconnect this wire from the main harness.Hope this helps.

jaxV8carz    -- 01-11-2010 @ 5:53 AM
  Also be aware that a wire passes thru the headliner to the courtesy light on the other side. I discovered this when I replaced a previous coupe headliner.

EWATERS    -- 01-11-2010 @ 2:50 PM
  Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't even thought of the pillar lights; there's always a surprise that makes life interesting.

trjford8    -- 01-11-2010 @ 7:32 PM
  Usually the wires that crossover to the pillar light on the right side is in good shape. It is tied into the left side harness, so I would just hook it up to the new harness and not worry about the crossover wire.

EWATERS    -- 01-12-2010 @ 11:50 AM
  Thanks. Maybe this suggestion will save me some unnecessary stress by minimizing the extent of the effort.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=584