Topic: '49 rear door hinge pins and bushings

fsacht    -- 03-18-2013 @ 9:47 AM
  Picked up a '49 fordor sedan. Left rear door hinges are worn out. Door drops off and rattles. I see pins and bushings in catalog for 50-51. Are '49-51 interchangable. What is procedure for replacing them,
including door demoval and hinge removal. Or is it done with doors in position somehow?

supereal    -- 03-18-2013 @ 10:56 AM
  Fred: I didn't find pins, either for the '49. Almost always, the pins are worn badly, and replacements are too loose. In that case, oversize pins must be made. Because worn pins always are hard to remove, due to the grooves, the rear edge of the door must be supported to remove tension, then the pins are driven up and out. We use an air hammer and a pointed tool. As the hinges will need to be drilled to accept the oversize pins, it is easier to work on if they are removed. The hinge bolts can be rusted on the backside, but sometimes an impact driver will shake them loose. The pins often wear more than the hinges, but if the holes in the hinges are egg shaped, they will have to be drilled. Door pins and hinges present one of the most difficult jobs on any older car because of limited access. I wouldn't waste money on the clamp tools sold for the job, as I have yet to see one that really works.

fsacht    -- 03-18-2013 @ 5:18 PM
  I had a hunch this would be a challenge. Thanks for the direction.

butchbov    -- 03-25-2013 @ 5:08 AM
  If you can get the hinges off shoeboxford.com rebuilds them.

supereal    -- 03-25-2013 @ 11:06 AM
  Most often, it is the driver's side door that wears out hinges and pins. Having a rear door problem on a fordor can indicate some body damage at one time or another. The "new" '49 Ford had a good many body problems, most of which were eliminated or reduced with the arrival of the '50s. At the Ford dealer where I worked, we fabricated a large device that hooked over the top of the door and pressed a wide panel at the bottom. This was used to bend to correct poor fitting doors, as there wasn't provision to move the hinges. When I last toured the Rouge plant in the 60's, they were "adjusting" doors with a sledge hammer that had a rubber covered end.

fsacht    -- 03-25-2013 @ 11:22 AM
  The driver's door hinges are solid. With the rear door open I can lift the tail and see the hinge sections move. At the Chicago Assy Plt. up until the 80's we said if it doesn't fit get a bigger hammer.
Hammers and assorted pieces of wood to pry and wedge to bend panels. 49-50-51 shop manual devotes much space to body adjustments. 49 began a whole new Ford personality.
Going to start a new discussion.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5837