Topic: Transmission Repair

Joe2009    -- 03-15-2013 @ 5:20 PM
  I have a 1939 Ford Coupe that is need of transmission repair. I winter in Florida, where there is plenty of help, but the car is in Connecticut. I am looking for someone in the New London area that is knowledgeable/ experienced in early ford transmission repair. I would prefer someone who is retired and does this on the side, as I would like to participate and get my hands dirty. (There is a club/shop like that in Deland, but I am not aware of a similar facility up in Connecticut.) Thanks in advance for any assistance/recommendations.

"The older I get, the better I was."

Henryat1140    -- 03-16-2013 @ 1:17 PM
  I've had very good results with Charlie Schwendler of Orchard Park NY. I know that's a good ways from you, but here's why I like his work:

He knows these transmissions inside and out, was a machinist for a long while and can do machine operations on the case if needed. He has a good stock of parts. He is fair and friendly to deal with. He IS retired from his regular job, but I can't say whether it would be a situation where you could work along side of him and participate.

He's done both a transmission and rear for us. Very equitable pricing.

I know I sound like an evangelist, but when you find someone who does top-drawer work at fair prices I believe they should get all the positive reinforcement we can give.

He hangs out on Ford-barn as Charlie NY.
Phone (716) 662-9159

BERTHA    -- 03-19-2013 @ 7:57 AM
  X2!!

Bob

"it's only original once""

BERTHA    -- 03-19-2013 @ 7:58 AM
  X2!!

Bob

BERTHA    -- 03-19-2013 @ 7:58 AM
  X2!!

Bob

Joe2009    -- 03-24-2013 @ 10:51 AM
  Thanks, Henry. I have, in fact, been talking with him already. Since I need to also move back the entire drive train, I was hoping to find a "one stop shopping" experience.

"The older I get, the better I was."

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5828