Topic: prime the oil pump,39 coupe

37coop    -- 03-08-2013 @ 2:57 AM
  h*llo , i,v just had the sump off and cleaned out the gauze and oil pump ,i,v been told i should prime the oil pump before i run the engine ,i,v not heard this one before , is it necessary, if so how do you do it , thanks...jim.

supereal    -- 03-08-2013 @ 10:44 AM
  The best way is to remove the spark plugs and, with a pan full of new oil, run the starter a couple of minutes. As the oil pump is run off the rear of the camshaft, there isn't any independent way to prime it.

JM    -- 03-08-2013 @ 2:27 PM
  I have primed the oiling system on the engines I've rebuilt by forcing oil into and through the system using a pressurized vessel attached to one of the threaded ports on the rear of the block. This doesn't necessarily prime the oil pump but it does get oil flowing in critical areas prior to getting oil flowing by the pump. This is done in addition to using assembly lube throughout the engine during initial assembly.
What I have done on the oil pump was pack the gear housing with light weight grease (some recommend using Vaseline) before attaching the cover plate on the bottom of the pump. This will usually allow the pump to pick up oil quickly. By doing these things I have had no problem bringing oil pressure up quickly on newly built engines.

Here is a link to some additional discussion on priming the oil system on a Ford Flathead V8 engine.

http://www.btc-bci.com/~billben/preoil.htm

JM

This message was edited by JM on 3-10-13 @ 4:57 AM

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-08-2013 @ 5:19 PM
  37coop
I was wondering if you took the oil pump apart and checked for any wear ?
after taking everything apart, maybe a new USA made oil pump would be a good thing to replace ?
were you loosing oil pressure before?
I am with SUPER on just removing the spark plugs,using the starter to spin the engine till you see the gauge needle move, telling you ,that there is pressure,
remember there is also a internal pressure release valve inside,[85HP] under the intake,in the front,
taking that out and check the spring if it is weak or broken,
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN

supereal    -- 03-08-2013 @ 6:18 PM
  That oil pump is a positive displacement type that depends on the relief valve in the front of the valve chamber, if old style, or on the relief built into the later type. If the engine was completely apart, assembly lube should be used. If not, the oil galleries and bearings will not need to be pressure primed. It is not different than draining and refilling pan in a regular change. As you had the pump out, I recommended the cranking procedure to be sure the pump ktself was working. These old engines did fine for decades without the need for pre lubing.

37coop    -- 03-09-2013 @ 11:16 AM
  thanks for your help folks ,i didnt have the engine apart ,i did a top end going over 20 years ago during a total restoration ,the bottom end looked good with adjustable tappets and balanced flywheel and crank and had a clean out of the sump and pump ,when i imported it into london from usa i drove it home from the port and the engine seemed fine but it hasnt been used for 24 years,,i,m a believer if it aint broke dont fix it,i will do as advised by you.,i,v been a club member for 30 years and have just started to use the excellent forum and supereal has been helpfull on several occasions,many thanks to all , jim

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5803