Topic: 1930 Ford Roadster Deluxe

Knoggin    -- 03-07-2013 @ 8:28 PM
  I have found a 1930 Ford Roadster Deluxe in very good restored to original condition for sale. I'm a Packard guy but like this car. My problem? I have no idea what the current market value is to know if the asking price is fair or not. Please advise--thanks

ford38v8    -- 03-07-2013 @ 10:15 PM
  I'd like to help, but I and most others here are devoted to Fords of the years 1932 to 1953. Model A Fords are really a whole different animal, values of which I beleive are documented more thoroughly than are our later Fords. I suggest you contact the clubs listed below:

http://www.mafca.com/

http://www.modelaford.org/

Alan

42wagon    -- 03-08-2013 @ 3:41 AM
  As Alan says this is really a Ford V8 forum and you will get better answers from a Model A forum. However, as the owner of a 1931 deluxe roadster I can tell you to be very careful when someone tells you that any 80 year old car is restored to original condition. Have someone who is knowledgeable take a look at the car. If you think the V8 judging standards are strict you haven't taken a look at the model A standards.
Ted

trjford8    -- 03-08-2013 @ 8:31 AM
  42 wagon give excellent advice. Take a knowledgeable Model A person with you to look at the car. If you are unfamiliar with a certain car and purchase it you can be in for as bad experience.

supereal    -- 03-08-2013 @ 10:40 AM
  I agree with all above. Having Model A's for years, I can attest to the fact that they have not risen in value, as most of us who had them, or remembered them, have moved on. Open cars always bring higher dollars, but the A's don't do well on the hiways, and are usually relegated to parades. The last really good, fully restored example in my area brought $16,000, while closed cars had to be really good to get half that.

CharlieStephens    -- 03-08-2013 @ 3:08 PM
  You should also check out ahooga.com and fordbarn.com (the Model A section).

You also might find the following of interest when buying your Model A: http://jmodela.coffeecup.com/wherestart.html

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 3-8-13 @ 3:11 PM

1934 Ford    -- 03-09-2013 @ 3:10 PM
  Supereal said "the A's don't do well on the hiways, and are usually relegated to parades."
I STRONGLY disagree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
The Model A Ford is the most popular car in our hobby:
Because it's so reliable and affordable. The Model A Ford 1928-1931 is the most used car in the Greatrace (Formerly The Great American Race) and the dominate car in the AACA & VMCCA Glidden Tours, as well as local an regional car outings that involve Pre WWII vehicles.
Unlike the 'high end" cars, you can still buy a nice open Model A for under $20K (Try to do that with Ford V8's)
While I'm a strong Ford V8 guy for the Pre WWII cars,
I can't discount the Model A. Without them the hobby would be much less attractive to many people.
I've owned and restored at least 3 Model A's and
prefer the V8 Ford for the power and the ride. But the Model A is not just a parade car, it's the basis of our hobby.

1934 Ford's since 1972

Bill Wright    -- 03-09-2013 @ 5:25 PM
  I'm with 1934 Ford. I wouldn't be involved with V-8's or cars in general if we didn't have my Grandfather's '28 Roadster.He bought it used in 1929.
My roadster is the most reliable car I own. Tomorrow we set out for Healdsburg for lunch.It'll take all day but I'll get there and back without a tow truck.Now my '37 sedan is another story.we've had it about 9 years and I'm still sorting out the Gremlins.Just had Coker Radials installed and in balancing the tires we've discovered unacceptable wobble and two bent rims.So it looks like we take the wheels and tires off, send the mess to Stockton Wheel to be straightened and powder coated,remounted and balanced.I've always been a little backwards!

Don't Believe Everything You Think!
Bill Wright

supereal    -- 03-09-2013 @ 6:39 PM
  Sorry I gave the impression that I was "dissing" the Model A's. I loved mine, but even though they were carefully restored, they had no place out on the hiway. Not because they were unsafe to drive, but because above 35-40 mph, to keep pace, they didn't belong there, mostly because other drivers often were not careful around them. My point was that anyone considering such a car should be aware of the limitations. At the tender age of 78, I have great fun with my '47 Ford because I can actually travel distances, albeit on the "blue" hiways, even with the top down!

trjford8    -- 03-09-2013 @ 7:12 PM
  Bill, I thought Stockton Wheel was out of business. If some of your wobble is in the Coker tires I would send them back.
I started out as Model T guy for my first "hobby" car I( I sold a 33 Chevy coupe to buy the T). I then graduated to Model A's. I even had a Model A coupe for my commute car to work(I worked in town). I think over time I owned 8 different Model A's and then in 1974 I joined the V-8 Club and bought a 33 sedan. I still love Model A's. I think the younger people in the hobby gravitate to the Model A due to the cost factor, the simplicity, and availability of parts. We don't see a lot of young people in the V-8 Club due to the price of our cars and parts.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 3-9-13 @ 7:19 PM

supereal    -- 03-10-2013 @ 12:49 PM
  I had "wobble" problems with my Model A's. The old wire wheels are often out of round, themselves, or bent. Modern tire balancers usually won't accomodate these wheels. I did have a problem with a couple of Coker tires being out of round, which they replaced. If your king pins are worn, or the shocks are weak, or not working, you will have lots of this problem. The attached photo shows my '30 coupe, which waddled like a duck until the whole front end was rebuilt. I went thru a half dozen wheels until I found two that were usable. Most had "walloed" lug holes, a common problem with the early cars, and/or damaged rims.

Bill Wright    -- 03-10-2013 @ 7:15 PM
  I had heard Stockton was out of business too. I'll try and call tomorrow. I had good luck with them doing my A wheels. There's another wheel place in Walnut Creek,CA that I'm planning to talk to tomorrow too. I wasn't aware that the Coker tires could be defective.
Bob, Thanks for the Heads Up.
Bill

Don't Believe Everything You Think!
Bill Wright

TomO    -- 03-11-2013 @ 7:27 AM
  Nice Model A, Supereal. Do you always drive it down hill or just for photos?

Tom

Knoggin    -- 03-15-2013 @ 12:51 PM
  Thanks for all the answers and I have actually found another Ford locally I will post about.

supereal    -- 03-15-2013 @ 2:29 PM
  Tom: The pic was taken just before I sold it to the president of the local Model A Club. He had pestered me to sell it to him, and I finally did when I ran out of room. It was fun to drive around town, but the non-balanced crankshaft would set up a vibration between 35-40 that would make your head ache. I rebuilt it from a heap of junk, even replacing the body wood, which took most of one winter. I took some flak from suggesting that a Model A isn't up to highway driving, so anyone planning to buy one should be sure to drive it. They are great cars, but not for long distance touring, at least for me. for me.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5802