Topic: Someone to help rebuild my flathead engine

dicky    -- 03-02-2013 @ 8:25 AM
  I live in Birmingham Alabama. I have never rebuilt an engine before. Therefore I need someone to help me rebuild the one I have. The only thing I have left t take offf my 1948 engine is the valves and cam. Is there anyone in Birmingham area that can help me? MY telephone number is 205-675-6948 email richardherren@hotmail.com

This message was edited by dicky on 3-4-13 @ 6:10 AM

dicky    -- 03-04-2013 @ 6:10 AM
  Sorry, I had my email wrong.

supereal    -- 03-06-2013 @ 2:25 PM
  Dicky: We keep a list of rebuilders, but none are close to you. Distance is important, as it can cost over $500 to crate and ship an engine these days. There is an excellent article in the latest issue of Engine Rebuilder magazine that mentions Angelo Van Bogart, editor of OLD CARS WEEKLY. Their online site is www.oldcarsweekly.com. They have surveyed the subject of existing engine rebuilders, and may have a lead on a competent shop in your part of the country. He notes that such places have declined in number drasticly during the recession, or because of the age of the operators, noting that the restoration rebuilding market has declined like the colledctor car market. At our shop, we do several old engines a year, but the cost of a top quality job has grown to the point that many customers don't have, or don't want, to face the cost.

TomO    -- 03-07-2013 @ 6:44 AM
  Dicky,

You can take a chance and do a search on Automotive Machine shops in Birmingham, or contact some one in the GA, TN or FL Regional Groups for references.

Atlanta is probably the closest Regional Group to you and it is very active with people actively engaged in restorations.

Tom

flatheadfan    -- 03-08-2013 @ 12:18 AM
  Dicky-

You mentioned "The only thing I have left to take off my 1948 engine is the valves and cam." You seem to indicate that the engine is basically torn down and you need fundamental help in its' reassembly.

One of the things that can scare a re-builder off is an engine that has been disassembled without marking the components' location and alignment. As an example, the crankshaft mains MUST be marked as to their location and orientation. Failure to do that could mean a line boring job ($$$) may be necessary.

I would think that without a careful disassembly very few (if any) competent re-builders would probably want to get involved with the re-building. If you did do this make sure that you let others know in advance! This would remove a lot of uncertainty of what needs to be done.

Hope this helps.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5787