Topic: Engine question

tex42    -- 02-25-2013 @ 11:57 AM
  On my '46 V8 block there is two threaded holes near the front motor mounts. I understand that a brass stopcock goes in each of these holes and drains the water from the block. My question is, the other end of the stopcock is threaded, does it connect to anything?

42wagon    -- 02-25-2013 @ 1:09 PM
  Tex
Not sure what you have there. My car has fittings with a stamped tee handle in them. These fittings are scr*w*d into the block and then the tee handle scr*w*d in I believe clockwise direction to open them and a counter clockwise direction to close them. (I could have that backwards). The shaft of the tee is hollow and the coolant just pours out through it. There is no place to connect a pipe to it.
42 Wagon

tex42    -- 02-25-2013 @ 1:30 PM
  I went and took a picture of the stopcock. Please note the threaded end not in the engine.

supereal    -- 02-25-2013 @ 2:31 PM
  Those are drain cocks to let coolant out at the very bottom of the water jacket. You can see them on page 358 of the "green book" as 48-8115. They were also used as a radiator drain. The lower skirt of the block is a place where freezing often causes damage. If you use antifreeze, it isn't necessary to drain the block there, but otherwise, they should be used. It is common to find plugs in those places instead of cocks, as they often leaked, partcularly with antifreeze, which has a lower surface tension than water. The photo appears to show that someone attached a hose, probably to guide the drainage out beyond the
air dam under the radiator.

This message was edited by supereal on 2-25-13 @ 2:32 PM

tex42    -- 02-28-2013 @ 9:43 AM
  Thanks, found a picture of my engine when I pulled it and can see one of the stopcocks in it.

42wagon    -- 02-28-2013 @ 11:10 AM
  The stopcock you have pictured, I believe, is for use at the base of the radiator. If you go to Macs Auto parts catalog stopcock 8A-8115 is what I think should be used in the block. At least that is what is in my block and in a spare engine I have in my garage.
42 Wagon

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5769