Topic: 35 Ford Handle Spring

sunflower    -- 02-24-2013 @ 12:05 PM
  Where exactly does the remote handle spring part#B-702268 go,does it go to the door handle inside the car under the window? Thanks for the help. sunflower

trjford8    -- 02-24-2013 @ 7:02 PM
  Are you talking about the spring that goes behind the upholstery or are talking about the spring that goes into the remote lever that operates the door latch?

sunflower    -- 02-25-2013 @ 3:43 AM
  The handle inside the car that is used to open the door behind the upholsterd door panel.Thanks

trjford8    -- 02-25-2013 @ 6:53 AM
  Sunflower, it's difficult to explain how to install this spring. If you have the 1928-1938 Ford Hardware and Trimming Supplies book you can see a drawing of the spring and remote on page 67. It's an oddly bent spring that tucks into a slot on the side of the remote and the curved part of the spring rides on a cam that is attached to the square handle shank.

fenbach    -- 03-18-2013 @ 8:27 PM
  i copied a couple earlier posts about the door handle spring. after reading the intimidating instructions [first post], i found the spring easy to replace after all[second post].

To replace the latch springs, you have to open the body of the latch. This is done by unbending the tabs that hold it together. Unless your luck is better than mine, one or more of the tabs will probably break off, requiring some ingenuity to fix. It is also true that the tab holding the center of the spring may be broken. There are spring clips to fix that, B-702269, $4 at C&G. When ordering for your '36, be advised that there are differences between the early and late models of that year.

fenbach
11-21-2012 @ 7:15 PM

i've yet to meet a tab that i can't break off. but these i couldn't even bend. very easily anyway. and i thought, this ain't gonna be pretty. i decided to try one last time feeding the spring thru. i moved the handle to the open position so the spring would rest on the lowest part of the "cam." much to my surprise, using a pair of channel locks with one jaw on top of the spring and the other beneath the bracket i managed to compress and flatten the spring just enough to get it started in the slot. a bit more squeezing and it was in place!

This message was edited by fenbach on 3-18-13 @ 8:29 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5766