Topic: 1940 convertible wiper motor ???

Grant    -- 02-20-2013 @ 5:57 PM
  My friend.......an EFV8 member who doesn't use computers.......has several questions about getting a new or rebuilt wiper motor for his '40 cabriolet.

Are we correct in believing that closed 1940 cars have a different wiper motor ?

Would '39 and '40 cabriolets have the same wiper motor for open-cars-only ?

Might the correct Trico number be SM227 ?

Is there another manufacturer.....original or repro......of wiper motors that would be correct for a '40 cabriolet ?

Does anyone know of a competent rebuilder of pre-war wiper motors ? There don't seem to be any such Services advertisements in the recent V8 Times issues.

Assuming that a new old stock still-in-the-original-box wiper motor could be located, would it be dried up and useless other than as a core ?

Thanks for your assistance.

kubes40    -- 02-20-2013 @ 6:16 PM
  Without getting too technical I will tell you that yes, there were different vacuum wiper motors for 1940 Ford convertibles and closed cars. In reality the differences are so very minute, I would not worry about it.
That being said, any motor you may find, whether advertised for convertibles or closed cars (1940) will bolt right in your car and function just fine.
I am not aware of anyone that reproduces vacuum wiper motors. New old stock come available with some frequency on sites such as eBay. Expect to,pay about $75.
I don't recall with 100% certainty the Trico number but thought it was 221. Perhaps someone with a Trico book can chime in to this regard.
Are NOS motors good? Well, from my experience, yes. I have yet to do anything but oil them lightly for great performance. Well, maybe not exactly great, but the performance one can expect from a vacuum wiper motor.
The only guy I would recommend to rebuild your motor is Mr. Ficken. He has been doing these motors for decades and is very good at his trade. Cost is about $100. he turns them around in a timely fashion.
His website is: www.wiperman.com

trjford8    -- 02-20-2013 @ 6:32 PM
  For rebuilt wipers I use Kent Jaquith. He's a long time V-8er and repaired wipers for years. He's done several for me. They are as good as new when they come back from him. He can be reached at 541-923-4319 or cell# 541-350-7426. In the warm weather he's in Oregon and in the cold weather he's in Arizona. I'm sure Ficken is fine, but I prefer Kent due to my past experience with him.

deuce_roadster    -- 02-20-2013 @ 6:54 PM
  I have known Kent Jaquith since 1973 and can tell you that his work is very high quality and he is an honest person. While I don't know him personally, I think the same can be said for Mr. Ficken as he has also been doing this for a long time. I would say if you are on the East coast use Ficken, West coast, use Kent Jaquith, in the middle, flip a coin.

TomO    -- 02-21-2013 @ 7:54 AM
  You can see a drawing of the 40 Ford wiper motor on page 637 of the Green Book. Here is a link to an online copy of the book.

http://www.norgv8club.org/norg/index.php/headliner-newsletters-and-tech-tips/category/11-parts-diagrams

As Mike said, any 1940 Ford car wiper motor will bolt in and hook up to work.

Here is a link to Trico replacement motor numbers. You will probably have to go through it line by line as the search is unreliable.

http://interchange.hapinc.com/trico/list.php?startLimit=500&limitPerPage=500&sortBy=&sortOrder=DESC

Tom

Grant    -- 02-21-2013 @ 9:08 AM
  You guys are great. Thanks very much.

I will pass on the recommendations re Mr. Ficken and Mr. Jaquith.

It would appear that the correct Trico data reads as follows:

ID 93

MOTOR SS32-1

SERVICE
REPLACEMENT SSM32-1

OE
APPLICATION 40 Ford, Ford(T)

If anyone has information to the contrary to that, please advise.

supereal    -- 02-21-2013 @ 12:22 PM
  Before I spent a lot of money on a vacuum wiper motor, I would consider an electric replacement. The vacuum system is weak, at best. Conbined with small blades, it leaves much to be desired. C&G has a bolt-in 6 volt wiper motor for the '40. Item 01A-17508-HD6, $165. You can see it on page 212 of their catalog. cgfordparts.com When in place, it can't be seen anyway, for the purists.

ford38v8    -- 02-21-2013 @ 12:40 PM
  Bob, I suppose we're going to get into a discussion here about purists and make-do guys. I don't include Hot Rodders here, as we're only talking abiout functionality of the originals. The vaccuum wipers, when rebuilt, function as they did when new, meaning go up as hill, they stop, let off the gas, they go. This is what it's all about for me and many others. The hum and squawk in the radio is another one. If you want a modern car with all the modern conveniences, it's easier to go out and buy one in the first place.

Alan

This message was edited by ford38v8 on 2-21-13 @ 12:41 PM

Stroker    -- 02-21-2013 @ 1:45 PM
  Alan: I'll side with you on that one. In the late 50's, I installed a rather pricey (for me) electric wiper motor in my 38 wagon. I had quite a struggle getting it to clear the
radio speaker, but ultimately it worked, and worked very well given that with the 3-Strombergs and Harmon & Collins cam, I never had enough vacuum to wipe even going downhill.

When I decided to put stuff back to as close to original as I could, I opted for a nice
original Trico, and some re-pop wiper transmissions. It is part of the old car "mystique"
at least for me. But no, I'm not giving up my hydraulic brakes!

supereal    -- 02-21-2013 @ 4:01 PM
  No quarrel from me, Alan and Dan. You both know me, and that I am not a purist. That's why I have a third stoplight, halogen headlights fed via a relay, and other changes to improve safety and, in some cases, convenience. As for wipers, I rebuilt my wiper motor years ago, and it is still vacuum. The few times I have been caught in the rain, I reexperienced the exasperation of having the wipers stall just when they were needed to see clearly. My cars are stock enough to produce the driving experience I remember, but I don' t sacrifice my safety, as I actually drive my old cars. And I cerrtainly enjoy the FM radio conversion, too, as well as a near perfect restoration of others.To me, that is the joy of having a useable result of years of hard work in saving a great car, and a piece of history.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 02-22-2013 @ 5:00 PM
  37,38,39,40 Open Cars [ CABRIOLETS and CONVERTIBLES ]and Stationwagons use the same wiper motor,
even the chrome transmissons,linkages are the same,
they are installed in under the cowl, were the closed car is in the header,
my 3 cents 37RAGTOPMAN be there done that,,,
if you do not have wiper motor to rebuild,PM me,
originals bolt directly in with no problems

kubes40    -- 02-23-2013 @ 7:04 AM
  Super, for us purists... the wiper motor CAN be seen. tsk, tsk...

supereal    -- 02-23-2013 @ 10:08 AM
  I'm not an authority on the'40, Kube, but isn't the wiper motor installed up under the cowl where the links operate the unusual chain driven wiper towers? I suppose you could lay on your back and see up there, if so.

kubes40    -- 02-23-2013 @ 1:11 PM
  You are correct Super. I would hope (and expect) a competent judge to actually inspect beneath a dash board...

supereal    -- 02-23-2013 @ 3:03 PM
  I've seen your restorations, Mike, and they are splendid! Most of the old cars we have worked on had a radio which obscured the wiper motor. If the radio didn't, the speaker usually did. I've always believed our Club is divided into two sections, those with the desire to restore to exactly the way Henry built it, and those of us who prefer to actually drive our vehicles safely on a regular basis. I'm sure you will agree that both are vital to our Club, thus the various classes on the concourse. I have always suspected that the traditionalists should be the "Henrys", and those favoring changes should be the "Edsels" to favor the company's historical basis. To me, one of the great injustises is the linking of Edsel with the failure of the car line bearing his name. If it wasn't for his styling genius (and that of E.T. (Bob) Gregorie), I doubt we would love our old Fords as much as we do now, 70 years after Edsel's death I hope mention will be made regarding this anniversary of his passing.

This message was edited by supereal on 2-23-13 @ 8:31 PM

deuce_roadster    -- 02-23-2013 @ 8:04 PM
  Off topic but I ALWAYS explain to people who rag on Edsel cars that Edsel the person was responsible for the styling and colors of the most popular cars Ford made during the 30s and 40s. He was long dead when the Whiz kids decided to name the radical style car the Edsel. Very unfortunate. I agree with Super 100% on this.

kubes40    -- 02-24-2013 @ 5:30 AM
  Super, I am in complete agreement with you. I respect both the "Henry's" and the Edsels" of our club.
In reality, I kind of envy the "Edsels". Once I finish a car, I simply don't have the heart to drive it. Plus, quite honestly, I enjoy the restoration process the most vs. driving them.

Deuce, You are correct of course in regard to the "Whiz kids" naming the Edsel long after he had passed away. I doubt many folks put the time frames together and figure that out.
I am coming to the conclusion you enjoy the history perhaps as much as the cars...

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5756