Topic: cracked block?part 2

37coop    -- 02-17-2013 @ 12:03 PM
  h*llo again ...after advice on my water leak problem on my 39 coupe i was told by members..42 merc and 1934ford that 2 freeze plugs each side on the pan rail hidden by the sump could be the problem....i removed the sump and lo and behold the 4 holes were there but no plugs,the holes were blocked by the gasket which was flattened by the sump which obviously worked ok till i put water in after 20 plus years dry then it leaked on one hole ...i have 2 questions...how can a freezeplug expand and do its job if it is being pushed from the sump ,there would be no room for it to move...and secondly any idea where i can buy the correct plugs ..here in the u.k the correct size might be difficult to find although i havnt yet searched...many thanks for your help,its very appreciated ...jim.

51f1    -- 02-17-2013 @ 1:53 PM
  They aren't really freeze plugs. They are core plugs. They plug holes used when the castings are made. I think they became known as freeze plugs, because, if the coolant freezes, as it expands, it forces the plugs out. I remember seeing that happen on our International R-100 back in the 50s. No amount of "freeze plugs" will keep a block from cracking like a proper antifreeze solution will.

Richard

This message was edited by 51f1 on 2-18-13 @ 5:15 AM

42merc    -- 02-17-2013 @ 2:18 PM
  If the proper size freeze plugs can't be found, consider tapping the holes with the proper size pipe tap & use socket head pipe plugs.

This message was edited by 42merc on 2-17-13 @ 4:11 PM

37coop    -- 02-18-2013 @ 2:34 AM
  good replies and advice ,i feel i,v had a bit of luck ,i thought at first the engine would be scr*p ...saved by the forum , many thanks , jim.

supereal    -- 02-18-2013 @ 10:36 AM
  It seems odd that there were no remnants of the core plugs found, if I read it right, unless someone simply omitted them the last time the engine was apart. I'd be looking carefully at the block walls inside the engine just above the oil pan flange to be sure that there are no freeze cracks. We find them there when we Magnaflux blocks. We routinely replace all core plugs in rebuilds, as most are badly eroded on the inside.

37coop    -- 02-18-2013 @ 12:38 PM
  thanks supereal, not a sign of old freeze plugs , the cork gasket over the holes had an indentation where the plugs should have been ,i,ll put the engine from the hoist onto the engine stand and spin it over so its upside down and have a good look inside for cracks,if ok i will of course make sure strong antifreeze is used and new freeze /core plugs and be gratefull its useable , thanks again all

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5746