Topic: 34 trans dowel pins missing ?

missmaude    -- 02-16-2013 @ 6:20 PM
  I have the engine installed now after getting overhauled and the dowel pins are missing? it appears they should be stepped 5/16 to 3/8 " does anyone know if there is supposed to be pins installed here normally? I can machine now ones if they are required, I cannot find them in the MAC's book.
Cheers

deuce_roadster    -- 02-16-2013 @ 7:57 PM
  A little more info would be helpful. Of the few places on a flathead that has dowels that I can think of, I would want them back in each place. They were put there for a reason. You might try NAPA. I don't think any of them are stepped to a different diameter. If so someone here will certainly let you know.

deuce_roadster    -- 02-16-2013 @ 7:59 PM
  My bad, I see you are talking about the ones on the bellhousing. I would definitely want those in there as trans position and lineup are critical.

JM    -- 02-16-2013 @ 8:28 PM
  I was also wondering which dowel pins we were talking about here. I believe I have seen those bell housing dowel pins available somewhere. It may have been in MAC's Antique Auto Parts catalog where I saw them advertised. When I trashed some old flathead blocks I recall removing some of those dowel pins in case I ever needed them but where they are now is anybody's guess. I don't believe these pins were stepped and they are made from a very hard steel similar to a roller bearing. Sorry, not that much help.

JM

This message was edited by JM on 2-16-13 @ 8:40 PM

supereal    -- 02-17-2013 @ 11:14 AM
  The dowel pins used to locate the transmission to the clutch housing are part number 18-6397. The same pins were used from 32-48. The length is 11/16". I don't have the diameter, but any rod stock that fits the holes can be used. I haven't seen them in parts catalogs. If you make them, be sure to champfer the ends to assist in installing the transmission.

missmaude    -- 02-17-2013 @ 6:26 PM
  Thank you lads, Again exactly waht i needed, I have made a few for large trucks we work on I'm more familiar with large diesels, I might have some the correct size,I use Drill rod turned and ground. It seemed funny I got a few good drawings on the internet but no dowels were shown, I didn't see any on the 2 army trucks I have, must be just covered up. Cheers

39 Ken    -- 02-18-2013 @ 4:03 AM
  Give a call to Antique Auto Supply
in Arlington, TX. It's been some time but
I bought these dowels from him.
817-275-2381
Ken

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5741