Topic: Early Ford V8 Cowl Vent Magnetic Seal

doning    -- 01-08-2010 @ 9:21 AM
  As I was reading through my Nov/Dec 2009 V8 Times last night I noticed a photo in the magazine showing a flathead Ford with a white cowl vent magnetic seal on it with the V8 logo. Where can these be purchased? How much are they? Thanks! Don

v8teditor    -- 01-08-2010 @ 7:04 PM
  I took the photo of the magnetic cover over the cowl. This was something the owner made himself. Unfortunately, I did not get his name although I know him. Duh! Anyway, this is a magnetic material you can buy by the foot. You can cut it with scissors. I just bought some to mount gas pump decals on so I could put them on a restored gas pump. I also bought some years ago when I had a 1948 Police Car and the city gave me the decals. The police garage gave me the city seal and "Police" decals and I mounted them on the magnetic material and put it on my car, sort of like magnetic signs you see advertised. Check with local sign shops to see if they have some or they can tell you where to get this material or find out where to get it. It comes in several thicknesses. It's magnetic on one side and a white vinyl surface. This one was cut in the shape of the cowl vent but maybe an inch or so larger all around. The Ford decal was attached for looks. Probably not absolutely water tight but it would certainly help when caught in a rain. Beats having wet legs!

This message was edited by v8teditor on 1-8-10 @ 7:04 PM

doning    -- 01-09-2010 @ 8:52 AM
  Ok. Thanks for the info!

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 01-11-2010 @ 12:59 PM
  HI
those MAGENTIC signs left on to long ,might bubble the paint,
so be careful,
just My 2 cents worth,37RAGTOPMAN

v8teditor    -- 01-12-2010 @ 8:26 PM
  As I mentioned, I used the magnetic material to put the San Diego City seal (No idea what legal implications would have been in there had I been involved in a wreck) and San Diego Police signs on the front doors of my 1948 Coupe. They were on there for years and I never noticed any problem other than the doors were white and when the signs were removed, you could see where the paint had fadeed a little. Of course, it's pretty dry here in Southern California. I was more worried about the three holes I drilled in the top of the car to mount red lights leaking! Once I had it in a museum for a year and they obtained California Highway Patrol decals and mounted them on the car. Unfortunately, it was against a wall so they had them only for one side. I later sold the car to the San Diego Police Historical Society.

This message was edited by v8teditor on 1-12-10 @ 8:27 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=574