Topic: 1951 Ford Automatic Transmission

woodie1947    -- 02-13-2013 @ 11:56 AM
  I dropped my 1951 Ford Transmission off to be rebuilt and when I went to check on the progress the business was closed.

My question is : up to what year automatic transmission will work on a 1951. I was told up to and including 1954 will work? But I was also told only up to 1953 will work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

TomO    -- 02-14-2013 @ 8:31 AM
  I would try the local police station to see if they have a contact number for the owner, you may still be able to retrieve your transmission. Another place to check is the city or village hall license bureau.

Tom

woodie1947    -- 02-14-2013 @ 9:22 AM
  Tom,

Thanks for the reply,

I have already exhausted those avenues.

Now I need to find a replacement.

Thanks again,

Mike

supereal    -- 02-14-2013 @ 10:26 AM
  Contact a salvage yard and ask them to look up the interchange in their Hollander or other guide.

Grant    -- 02-14-2013 @ 7:22 PM
  Hi Mike. Sorry to hear about your problem.

We have a '51 convertible and a '52 Ranch Wagon here. Both have the Fordomatic transmission.

The '52 setup appears to have a slightly different neutral safety switch and carburetor linkage, but is otherwise identical to the '51.....including the big fresh air scoop.

There is also what I believe to be a '53 Fordomatic in the storage building. It has several differences, including a dipstick tube, an air intake up high on the back of the case rather than an air scoop assembly on the side, and a small rectangular cooler for the fluid. It supposedly came out of a 1/2 ton pickup. If I remember correctly there is an oval identification plate on it that says PAD7003.

I don't see why you couldn't use a later Fordomatic in your '51. There may be some wiring differences. At one point FoMoCo changed the flex plate design too........I think that was in '54.

Whereabouts are you located ?

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5727