Topic: '47 Ford convertible doors

bowlerbob    -- 02-12-2013 @ 11:52 AM
  The doors on my '47 convert don't fit very well. The passenger side is out at the top rear and the driver's side is out at the bottom rear. Any tips on making adjustment would be appreciated.

supereal    -- 02-12-2013 @ 1:14 PM
  The adjustment that affects the door fit on your convertible is located on the frame just below the cowl section. They control the slant of the cowl. They have a bolt with a lock nut. A very little adjustment has a large effect. Do one side at a time as you observe the door fit. Each side affects the other, so it takes some time to get it right. If it doesn't cure the problem, it is likely that the body to frame blocks may have to be changed. Do the adjustment with the top unhooked from the windshield. If the top doesn't drop onto the dowels after the doors fit, you will have to adjust the eccentric bolts in the top. The problem you mention can also be from a "racked" frame. Check to be sure the frame is not damaged. My '47 convertible frame was bent a bit, and it took some doing to get everything back in order. As you see, the result was worth the effort.

buford8    -- 02-13-2013 @ 5:01 PM
  Where are the eccentric adjustments for the convertible top?

You mess with me, you mess with the whole trailer park!

supereal    -- 02-13-2013 @ 9:32 PM
  They are the large headed bolts at the joints of the side rails of the top mechanism. I've found them replaced some times in the past with common bolts. If you need a diagram of the parts of the top, I can post one. The eccentrics are vital when adjusting the top to fit and work properly.

buford8    -- 02-14-2013 @ 8:48 AM
  Thanks for the response, I would like to see a diagram of the top mechanism on here or you may email at: dingmanjk@gmail.com Thanks Karl. (buford8)

buford8    -- 02-14-2013 @ 12:16 PM
  Thanks for the info, it is very helpful...Buford8

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5722