Topic: 1940 Ford Coupe rubber flooring

1940 5-Window    -- 02-11-2013 @ 5:28 PM
  Does anyone know a replacement material for the original rubber mat that went under the dash to under the seat on a Ford 5-Window Coupe. The original material is .075. thick and has a slightly raised surface? Original textured on both sides. Thanks. 1940 5-Window

ford38v8    -- 02-11-2013 @ 5:44 PM
  Reproduction mats are available from the usual suspects.
Try here:
www.cgfordparts.com

Alan

Old Henry    -- 02-11-2013 @ 7:05 PM
  Is this what you're looking forr?
http://macsautoparts.com/early-v8-ford-mercury-ford-front-floor-mat-black-rubber-ford-passenger-v44008/camid/F30/cp/JS0R3CHL1113244/

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

ford38v8    -- 02-11-2013 @ 7:10 PM
  Old Henry, I'm surprised at you! Macs offering the same mat for $30 more than C&G, yet you still put Macs forward as a source?

Alan

Old Henry    -- 02-11-2013 @ 8:11 PM
  Sorry. I didn't look at C&G cause they are usually higher. This is, indeed, a rare occasion. Here's C&G's that they say includes insulation: https://secure435.hostgator.com/~dlvry40/ufolder/ShowProducts.php?c=1&s=43&g=371&t=2155&tn=

In the future I'll try to be less helpful and just say "They're available from the usual suspects" like the big boys do.

Old Henry

This message was edited by Old Henry on 2-11-13 @ 8:23 PM

supereal    -- 02-12-2013 @ 7:13 AM
  As the old car hobby continues to contract, there are fewer manufacturers, so we usually believe that individual pieces are made by only one or a few sources. This doesn't mean you shouldn't inquire from the vendor as to their supplier, particularly if there seems to be a large price contrast with others. If you find a vendor with high quality merchandise, tell them why you are a customer so they know you do care. Price isn't always the best indicator of quality. I refuse to patronize places with poor quality parts or service. Most of the problem vendors we originally used have now disappeared, so it is worth the effort to be careful in your choices.

Old Henry    -- 02-12-2013 @ 8:42 AM
  That is one advantage of the Mac's listing for the mat over C&G's. Mac's shows a picture of the mat whereas C&G's does not.

Old Henry

kubes40    -- 02-12-2013 @ 9:21 AM
  Super, you are correct in regard to (at least) the mats. Only one manufacturer. However, Carpenter only recently began to produce the mats in a near match to the authentic in color. I do not believe the other suppliers are selling those at this time. Rather, as far as I know, the "other suppliers" are selling the old stock, tan mats.

supereal    -- 02-12-2013 @ 10:02 AM
  Thanks, Mike. Other than questionable quality, my other complaint regarding the conduct of vendors is often the lack of regard as to backorders. In this day of computerized inventory control, any vendor worthy of the title should be able to notify a buyer if the desired article is, in fact, in stock and ready to ship. I do understand the high cost of maintaining stock of parts of limited demand, but if minimums can't be met, I believe it is incumbent upon the seller to inform the buyer, and be "up front" on the likely delay. I know that the hobbyist may not be serving a critical need, as we in the garage business usually are, but it is no less discouraging to wait for items offered by catalog, or on line. We maintain an index of suppliers at our shop, and it can require contacting several before we find what we need, if the part is unavailable at the first call. If they are not "up front" about availability, they drop to the bottom of the list, if they stay at all. If you are concerned that any part may not be suitable, be sure you know, in advance, the vendor's return policy. Some have a "restock fee", even though they make a mistake or don't accurately describe the quality of the item.

kubes40    -- 02-12-2013 @ 11:49 AM
  Ah Super, once again you and I are on the same proverbial page.
Most folks know my distaste for the way Drake runs his business.
About a month ago I had returned a part to Carpenter as it was not as advertised. Within five days, I had received a credit slip that INCLUDED my return shipping.
I could not nor would not expect better treatment. That very same day I sent Drake back a pair of trunk lid supports that did not support the lid.
They did get the package and mind you, this was over a month ago... still NO response whatsoever.
And yes, for all of those reading, I included a nice (polite) letter requesting a refund or, if the supports they sent me were not the "norm" a replacement.
I also had sent a wheel trim ring back advertised as correct for 1940. What a piece of c---. Not even close to authentic in quality nor aesthetics.
And many question my disdain for Drakes company. really?
I am waiting for my charge card statement to arrive to see if anything has been done or my parts are simply lost at drakes...

supereal    -- 02-12-2013 @ 1:26 PM
  I used to buy a lot from Drake, and was always pleased with the quality. After my car was rear ended, I needed to replace the trunk lid hinges. Their catalog showed that the same 21A hinges fit both the coupe and convertible. The mounts were not even close. I called them, only to be told that "no one else had a problem" and "you must have a non stock car". Finally, I had to remake the mounts using parts from the damaged hinges. For $150, I expected more from them. I'm not sure what is going on there, but it is different from what I received in the past. Bob Drake has been a pillar of the hobby, and I hope this isn't a sign that they are in trouble. I even made a photo of the problem so they could see what I was talking about. Never got a reply.

This message was edited by supereal on 2-12-13 @ 1:28 PM

37coop    -- 02-12-2013 @ 4:31 PM
  i,v over the last few days tried to get 2 mats ..one for my 39 coupe and one for my 51 truck ...carpenter couldnt help with either as he said the 2 suppliers he used has gone out of business ...i got the truck mat from macs ,i was told a problem with supplies i.e the original moulds are used from their supplier and the mould is worn leaving some defects on the finished artical,best look online drake etc to see if their situation is any better , good luck, jim.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5717