Topic: Windshield Setting Tape

TonyM    -- 02-09-2013 @ 6:42 PM

Looking to put the new Sanders Windshield glass into the DeLuxe Windshield frame. I have both the Bob Drake Glass setting tape and the Mac's glass setting tape. The Mac's tape does not have enough tape to do a 1937 Ford windshield (requires 131 inches of tape and Mac's only comes with 120 inches). Drake's say their tape (20 foot roll) is close to what FoMoCo used way back when. It is easier to stick to the glass where as the Mac's does not.

My question is how to put the tape on--that is, should I do the center part (straight up and down) separate from the tape that has to follow the curves? The tape don't look like it will take too kindly to a 90 degree bend at the center post. I have cut small pieces and tested them out on the problem areas and the Drake tape looks like it will turn the way I need it to as long as the angle is not too severe (like the 90 degree bend at the center post).

Is there any sequence or special way the tape goes on? Any trick? What is the deal? I'd appreciate to hear from anybody who has put the tape on the windshield edge. The tape gets deformed easily and does not pop back to original shape, so I need to do this right the first time.

Any help or ideas appreciated. Thanks.

TM

78-73B

supereal    -- 02-09-2013 @ 8:21 PM
  We have used both Drake and tape from C&G. The sucess of an easy imstallation depends on getting the right thickness of both glass and tape. Use a dial micrometer to check both the glass and the frame channel, then divide the difference in half to get the right tape thickness. Warming the tape makes it more pliable at the corners. Doing the job usually requires more than one person to keep all parts under control.

TonyM    -- 02-09-2013 @ 8:32 PM
  Thanks for the reply. Yes, measured it out real good and came up with needing 1/16th inch tape. Have it. Now the hard part.

You say I am going to need four hands-Okay. Still trying to figure the appplication and the two sharp turns. Thanks for the advice.

TM

78-73B

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5710