Topic: Ashtray Plating?

1935ford    -- 02-09-2013 @ 7:20 AM
  Could the ashtray in my '35 Deluxe Sedan have been originally silver plated? Am planning to have it replated and thinking that chrome might be too glossy.
Opinions appreciated. Thanks! - Roger J.

40 Coupe    -- 02-09-2013 @ 7:51 AM
  Roger: That is not a chrome finish I believe it is the same as the bottom of the parking brake handle, the gear shift lever, the vent operating handle and the seat adjustment handle. Brushed nickel
The top of the brake handle is bright nickel.

1935ford    -- 02-09-2013 @ 7:55 AM
  Thanks, 40 Coupe. Glad I hadn't proceeded with chrome!
R.J.

deuce_roadster    -- 02-09-2013 @ 8:19 AM
  I would be surprised if Henry (think cheap) used nickle for the inside of an ashtray. I think I read somewhere that it was cad plating in ashtray.

3w2    -- 02-09-2013 @ 5:59 PM
  Assuming that you are referring to the swiveling ash tray in your dash, the original finish was chrome over unpolished satin nickel, i.e. a butler finish.

The lower portion of the hand brake handle had the same finish. The entire handle was first plated in satin nickel and then the upper (hand grip) portion was polished (the lower portion remained unpolished)and then the entire handle was chrome plated.

This same process of polished versus unpolished areas of satin nickel plating prior to chrome plating is what created the original finish on the bars of the grille (the leading edge polished and the sides unpolished.

40 Coupe    -- 02-10-2013 @ 4:47 AM
  It is possible I am incorrect in my previous posting (will not be the first time or the last). The inside of the ash tray may be cadmium as deuce_ roadster suggest. The outside of ash tray is not. It is possible as 3w2 suggest there is chrome over unpolished nickel. Why not take the ash tray to a plater and let him make his suggestion as to the finish. Be aware there are some very reputable plating shops that do not do a "brushed nickel or brushed chrome finish" it seems to be rather specialized. Riker Restoration in Toledo does a lot of Model A brake handles give Craig a call 419-290-4442

1935ford    -- 02-12-2013 @ 6:26 PM
  40 coupe: Thanks for your suggestion. I took the ashtray to a local plater who immediately identified the plating as being nickel. Since he has done very good work in the past and is very reasonable, gave him the parts. Also, having the hood latch handles Ni plated. Henry Ford definitely was very cost conscious: the hood handles were originally painted. R.J.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5707