Topic: VIN & Production Number Decoder Help

Rich53    -- 01-07-2010 @ 9:42 AM
  Hi! I'm new here. I just bought a 1953 Ford Customline. I understand how to decipher the VIN number and the body code. However, I do not know how to decipher the paint and trim codes, and the production number. My car has the paint code of V, and the trim code is C, and the production number is 12JLS3181A. Any help you may be able to give me is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

nelsb01    -- 01-07-2010 @ 10:24 AM
  From the 1949-1953 Ford Passenger Car Chassis Parts and Accessories Catalog (Jan 1953) here is the following:
Paint code V is not listed (maybe a late year color)
Trim code C is Two-Tone Gray Stripe Craftcord

Your Patent Plate should read:
70B (Customline Tudor)
72B (Customline Club Coupe)
73B (Customline Fordor)

Body Color Trim Production Code
7xB V C 12JLS3181A
x = customline style from above list

Serial No : B 3 a G nnnnnnn
B = V-8
3 = year
a = assembly plant code
G = all other body styles (Tudor, Fordor, Coupe)
n = consecutive unit number

Sorry I can't help you more -- but someone else should be able to.

Rich53    -- 01-07-2010 @ 4:14 PM
  So, V is probably a late year color? Does anyone have a 1954 code for V? Thanks for your help!!

trjford8    -- 01-07-2010 @ 8:25 PM
  In 1954 the V code is the color Goldenrod.

Rich53    -- 01-08-2010 @ 10:04 AM
  I've done a small amount of digging. It seems like in 1953 the Carnival Red was not shown on some charts because it told me somewhere that Ford used that color from 49-51 and to check those charts for it. So, I'm assuming what I have is an early 53 with the paint code V. It's Carnival Red now and has been repainted once. I'm not sure if the car was orignally Carnival Red, but I DO know that the tag code for paint is V. Can anyone find somewhere the code V in their paint charts for late 52 or 1953? Thanks for your help.

Rich53    -- 01-09-2010 @ 8:50 AM
  My wife wandered over to lovefords.org and emailed John Rotelle with my serial number and production number, color and trim codes. He replied back the next day and told me everything we needed to know. Thanks John! We found out that this car was made on Sept. 12, 1953, late in production. The color code of V means it was painted with 1954 paint, and V was for Goldenrod. Mystery solved!

ford38v8    -- 01-09-2010 @ 11:37 AM
  Rich, That is very curious! I've never heard of anything like this happening before with a paint color. It is understandable when you're talking about a mechanical part, but it just doesn't make sense to me when you're talking about a paint color.

Just goes to show that anything can happen, but still, these oddities do require documentation if the car is to be judged on the Concourse. In your case, of course, you have the patent plate itself as documentation, but to firm up the whole question, I suggest you find a remote location on the body to uncover an example of the original Goldenrod color.

Alan

Rich53    -- 01-16-2010 @ 10:16 AM
  After much digging, we actually found out that late in 53 they were using some 1954 colors. However, after looking at areas under the car that have not been repainted, we found the original color of Dovetone Gray. My wife then found a complete 53 color paint chart and chips that shows that V code for 53 and it is DOVETONE GRAY. So the car was not Goldenrod yellow, it was Dovetone Gray. This is fun finding this stuff out.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=570