Topic: 1950 Ford overdrive kick down not working.

Pat's 52    -- 02-05-2013 @ 5:46 PM
  The kick down does not work. Would the Remund ignition cause the switch to fail? The switch is relatively new. Thanks in advance for your help.

Pat's 52

trjford8    -- 02-05-2013 @ 7:13 PM
  Are you sure it's the switch?

supereal    -- 02-05-2013 @ 8:26 PM
  To allow the kick down to work, the accelerator pedal switch momentarily shorts the ignition, causing the engine to quit long enough to release the OD. It only takes one revolution of the crankshaft.There needs to be a connection to the input side of the ignition from the swiitch that permits the ground. Before I would do that, I'd be sure that the Remund ignition wouldn't be damaged. Solid state ignition systems are sensitive, and you should contact them for advice.

Pat's 52    -- 02-07-2013 @ 5:29 PM
  The kick down worked before I had the Remund system installed. I thought because there are no ignition points the system won't short out.

Pat's 52    -- 02-08-2013 @ 6:02 AM
  Supereal thank you for your response. I'm curious should the Remund ignition allow the ignition to momentarily short? I can't contact Remund because they are out of business. I guess I will go back to the original system. It worked fine as long as I kept everything in fine tune.

supereal    -- 02-08-2013 @ 6:43 AM
  If you reinstall the original ignition, it is likely the kickdown will work again. The ignition, on the point side, is grounded thru the foot switch which, in turn, finds ground thru a set of points in the solenoid. When the solenoid releases, it shuts off the ground. All this happens so quickly, it is likely you don't feel it. I am not a fan of electronic ignitions. The original Ford distributor is one of the most dependable units made. When properly fitted with quality points, and set up on a machine, it should be troublefree for at least ten thousand miles. The electronic units were designed for very high engine speeds, such as racing, when "point float" was a problem. For everyday driving, they are a solution seeking a problem.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5695