Topic: 59 FORD WAGON W/352 V8

ggerhard    -- 02-05-2013 @ 10:58 AM
  Having a problem when I accelerate from a stop. I get a hesitation/pause and then the car stalls out. I have rebuilt the carb thinking it might be the accelerator pump. That did not solve the problem. Has anyone got any ideas what might be causing this problem and how I might fix it?

supereal    -- 02-05-2013 @ 1:39 PM
  Have you done any other work recently on that car? Nine times out of ten, the last thing you did is likely the cause. If not, be sure that the float level in the carb is correct. A bad accelerator pump could cause a hesitation, but stalling indicates lack of fuel. A weak fuel pump or an air leak or a clog between the pump and the tank should be considered. Disconnect the fuel line at the carb and run the starter to see what kind of stream you get into a container. If your fuel pump is old, it is likely the new fuel has damaged it, reducing delivery. We also see this problem when the gas cap is not vented properly. From your description, it appears you tackled the carb because you had the problem before the rebuild. As we have mentioned often here, it is best to diagnose a problem before changing things, as it usually results in more than the original situation.

trjford8    -- 02-05-2013 @ 7:09 PM
  In addition to Bob's advice has the car been sitting for a long time and recently brought to life? If so there can be a lot of issues to resolve with old fuel and a dirty tank. History of the vehicle would help to work on the problem.

ggerhard    -- 02-05-2013 @ 8:05 PM
  Thanks so much for your help. It does seem to me that it is not getting the fuel it needs when you hit the accelerator. I also just replaced the air filter and fuel filter. The fuel filter canister had about a 1/4 inch of gummy rust in the bottom. I cleaned that out before reinstalling the new fuel filter. Clearly the fuel tank has rust in it. I am going to take the tank off and have it restored. The car has not been sitting it does get driven, but it is a little scary when you have to accelerate from a stop. I have to tap the accelerator pedal softly to make sure the motor does not stall.

TomO    -- 02-06-2013 @ 6:40 AM
  Ignition problems can also cause your symptoms. Check for a good strong spark and check put the vacuum advance also.

You can do a visual check on the accelerator pump, by removing the air cleaner and operating the accelerator linkage while looking into the carburetor. Do this with the ignition off. You may have to hold the choke open in order to see the stream of gas entering the carburetor throat.

If this just happens when the engine is cold, it could also be the choke is not operating correctly.

Tom

trjford8    -- 02-06-2013 @ 8:13 PM
  Just for info I would consider a new reproduction tank if they are available. Cleaning an old tank can cost almost as much as a new tank. If the tern coating inside the tank has deteriorated then the tank will continue to rust. You can coat the tank, but you need to use a coating that is not affected by methanol.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5692