Topic: cracked block?

37coop    -- 02-04-2013 @ 9:17 AM
  h*llo ,again .i.m on the back end of a looooong,resoration ,i imported my 39coupe from west virginia to the uk ,it was up and running and i tore it apart for a body off full restoration 23 years ago,the engine was empty of water and i rebuilt the top end ,the bottom end appeared good ,i,v now done almost all the work ,painting all panels back on ,finished interior etc ,i put in the rebuilt rad and put water in it and water came out of the sump/block joint in a fast drip ,i,v got another engine to go in but i would like to save this one if possible ....i was told its possible a freeze plug inside the engine could be the problem (first time i,v heard this one)apart from a cracked block could it be anything else? thanks for looking and any advise would be gratefully recieved ,jim.

supereal    -- 02-04-2013 @ 3:25 PM
  A coolant leak at or near the lower part of the block where the oil pan mounts is usually due to a freeze crack resulting from incomplete drainage of the block before very cold weather arrives. Only pulling the engine and inspecting the area can confirm this diagnosis. It is nearly impossable to fully drain the lower portion of a block, and any engine subject to freezing weather must contain antifreeze to be safe.

42merc    -- 02-04-2013 @ 4:41 PM
  '39-'40 v8 blocks do have core plugs (freeze plugs) in each pan rail, two per side. If you're lucky, they have rusted thru from sitting.

1934 Ford    -- 02-04-2013 @ 4:57 PM
  In other words; Always replace the freeze plugs that are hidden by the oil pan, when you have the engine out. They rust from the inside out and can look good then leak water into you oil when you fire the engine up and build up some heat.
If that's your only leak, consider yourself LUCKY.

1934 Ford's since 1972

37coop    -- 02-05-2013 @ 6:44 AM
  well thanks so much for your replies,i think i might be in with a chance , the engine is out so i will put it on a stand ,remove the sump ,put water in and cross my fingers and hold my breath,its been sitting in 23 english winters (drained of water)but maybe as suggested the water retained has done damage ...hope not , thanks again jim.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5688