Topic: Transmission Gears

GORDON    -- 01-29-2013 @ 1:29 PM
  Hi ,I have a Ford Pilot[like a 38] with a 3 speed box ,it is hard to get into 1st gear when stopped, if I put it into second first it will go into fist.It is starting to get harder to go into 2nd .The clutch is releasing ok [ no drag}.it is colum shift.Any idears?I have bought a second hand box but the small gear on the cluster gears has leading edge damage,I suspect it may be the same with the box in the car.Are the new gears sold in the U.S any good?Has any one done good milage on them?if so where did you get them from. Thanks for you help Gordon.

carcrazy    -- 01-29-2013 @ 2:49 PM
  A couple of things you might want to check to make it easier to shift into low gear from a stop are engine idle speed and clutch pedal free travel. The engine idle speed should be about 500 RPM or less and the clutch pedal free travel should be about one inch.

40 Coupe    -- 01-30-2013 @ 4:03 AM
  The small teeth are for the Syncro. hub and show up on the 2nd and 3rd gear and not first. If you could describe why your having a problem getting into 1st gear such as grinding, or just difficult to move to first.
It is possible if the gears are not grinding while shifting that the problem lies with the shift mechanism, and not the transmission. Look over the shift mechanism from the shift handle to the transmission and look for play. You may be able to disconnect the shift mechanism at the transmission and see if the linkage moves correctly, and the transmission arms move. Make sure to block wheels and apply E-Brake, so the car does not move.

supereal    -- 01-30-2013 @ 8:25 AM
  Before you do anything else, disconnect the shift rods from the transmission and carefully place both levers on the side plate in the neutral position. Each rod should slip easily over the levers without moving the levers. If not, adjust the rods until they do. If the grommets in the rod ends are worn, replace them. Check the movement of the shift tube on the steering column for excess wear. If all of these parts are OK, it is likely either the blocking mechanism in the side plate is the cause, or the shift fork is badly worn. Keeping the oil level in the transmission is often neglected, resulting in excess wear.

GORDON    -- 01-30-2013 @ 9:30 AM
  Thanks For the advise guys, I will look at the linkages.It seems to be ok when cold ,it makes no noise just hard to get into first .Cheers Gordon.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5675