Topic: 8BA fuel pump

banjoQ    -- 01-28-2013 @ 4:53 PM
  I have a 36 pickup that has an 8BA flathead in it. We were successful in getting it to run, but the fuel pump gave up after 10 min. This truck has been sitting for nearly 50 yrs. Looking up the fuel pump, I see that the 8BA should be using a fuel pump with a glass bowl. Is this correct? The one on the truck has none. Knowing the history of this truck, I am not surprised. Can anyone tell me which pump is correct for an 8BA? Or, will either one fit and do the job.

Big Red 51    -- 01-29-2013 @ 6:39 AM
  Banjo, Get a NAPA mechanical pump NFP M826 for about $44 and that will do the trick.
Don

supereal    -- 01-29-2013 @ 11:15 AM
  You didn't mention the year of the 8BA, if you know it. The 49-50 engines used one type, while another was installed 51-53. In each case there were two sub types, a single action and a double action pump. The single action pump had a glass bowl with a builtin filter in most trucks and some cars. Old pumps almost always are not "fuel proof", and the dry diaphragms often crack and leak after long storage, which is likely why yours quit, if it did. Be sure that the gas line isn't plugged with debris from an old dry tank before your blame the pump. We always install an in-line fuel filter between the tank and the pump to catch the inevitable junk from years of not running.

banjoQ    -- 01-29-2013 @ 4:53 PM
  Big Red, Supereal, thanks for the info. I will have to look into this further before I get a new pump. I was told by the owner that the 8BA was from 1950. It was only after I began looking up parts that I saw there were different pumps to be had. The one currently has no bowl, but that might of been what was handy at the time in 56' . We were running it off of a can and did not think there was anything in the tank. Must have pulled some garbage into the line. Pretty sure the pump is gone now though. My progress is slow, learning as I go with this one. Thanks-Q

ken ct.    -- 02-06-2013 @ 10:42 AM
  The diff is in the size of the inlet and outlet holes {thread}. I have both types USA rebuilt. Not the China made junk you buy at the big box vendors and includes NAPA. China made stuff. ken ct PM me via the ford barn

51f1    -- 02-06-2013 @ 10:58 AM
  The pump that I bought from NAPA was made in the USA.

Richard

51f1    -- 02-06-2013 @ 11:13 AM
  Please ignore.

This message was edited by 51f1 on 2-6-13 @ 11:13 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5668