Topic: 35 Ford

sunflower    -- 01-25-2013 @ 8:24 AM
  I bought this front grease seal for my 35 Ford from a vendor. It seems very skimpy on one side. Is this what they all look like? Picture enclosed.
Thanks, S

deuce_roadster    -- 01-25-2013 @ 9:16 AM
  To me that looks like a modern replacement for the original. The original I think had "CR" stamped on it and it which stood for Chicago Rawhide and yes, the seal part used to be leather. Install the one you have as you would any modern seal with the sharp edge of the lip toward the grease or oil.
Probably there will be other opinions on this but this is a "forum"!

supereal    -- 01-25-2013 @ 2:44 PM
  The part number for the correct front seal for your '35 is 48-1190. It was used 35-48. Some time ago, I ran out of these seals and obtained some some locally. They didn't have the red outer coating, and they collapsed before we could get them in place. It took three to get one that worked.

trjford8    -- 01-25-2013 @ 5:54 PM
  You might try Stacy Brown in Texas for the correct seals. He has lots of NOS and NORS parts. He runs an ad in the V-8 Times.

WKnighter    -- 01-26-2013 @ 1:31 PM
  I replaced my seals last summer. I used a piece of wood to drive the seal in. I worked my way around the dia several times before they were seated. You don't want to strike too hard because they are easily damaged. I would put a light coat of oil on the neoprene before assembly. I would also polish off any grooves or burrs on your axle before assembly. Larry

supereal    -- 01-27-2013 @ 6:29 AM
  Usually, we use a regular seal driver to install grease seals, but for those who do it themselves, a good tool is a PVC coupling from the plumbing department. Choose one that matches the outer face of the seal, and after starting the seal in the hub, place a wood block on the coupling to seat the seal with careful use of a hammer. This will place the force evenly and prevent damage.

40 Coupe    -- 01-30-2013 @ 4:08 AM
  Take the seal and try it on the spindle to see if it fits properly, before installing it in the drum hub.

sunflower    -- 01-30-2013 @ 5:12 AM
  Thankyou for all the good advise. sunflower

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5658