Topic: 35 Front & Rear Spring Replacement

admiral1960    -- 01-22-2013 @ 5:17 PM
  Hi everyone,

Another project: Removal & replacement of front & rear springs as they squeak going down the road.

Am considering removing them and installing the Spring Liner that comes in 20' rolls.

Is that fairly easy to do ?

If easy what are the basic disassebly steps ?

If I replace both front & rear springs who sells replacent spring sets ?

Allen E Michler
AW1, USNR (10 yrs)
LTC, TC, USAR (29 yrs)

trjford8    -- 01-22-2013 @ 7:36 PM
  Unless you have some broken leaves in the spring I don't think you need to replace them. I have used the lipped Teflon spring liner in all my old Fords. Remove the spring and take it apart and clean each leaf. You will see where the leaves have worn grooves into the other leaves. I use a grinder and taper the ends so they don't wear into the Teflon. I use a gasket punch to put a hole in the Teflon for the spring bolt and let the Teflon extend a little beyond the end of each leaf. Due to the fact that the teflon increases the height of the spring pack I eliminate the small upper leaf in the spring. I also spray paint each leaf with some cheap black paint(Walmart paint works good at 99 cents a can) so they do not get rusty. The Teflon will eliminate the squeaks and the ride will be much better. There's other methods to fix squeaky springs, but this one has worked best for me.

supereal    -- 01-22-2013 @ 9:12 PM
  Plan to also replace the shackle bushings and pins, as they usually squeak more than the springs. Teflon or rubber bushings stay quiet,, and are easy to install.

woodiewagon46    -- 01-23-2013 @ 1:46 PM
  I have used the teflon liner on springs and it works well, but it will eventually wear thru. Supereal is correct that spring noise also comes from warn shackle bushings, so plan on rebuilding them also. If you plan on having your car judged, some judges will take off points when they see the spring liners, because they will eventually wear and fray. I had great success with anti seize compound between the spring leaves on my Model A. It really made a difference in both noise and ride. Take the springs apart, sand between each spring and coat with "Never-Sieze" and your done.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5649