Topic: Replace muffler and tail pipe

joe shell    -- 01-21-2013 @ 1:48 PM
  Need some advise on replacing muffler and tail pipe on a 1936 Ford cabriolet. I have a Dennis Carpenter muffler which is pretty much identical to the existing muffler. My concern is with the tail pipe. I can buy one locally at Job Lot but I wonder how good these after market tail pipes fit. Do they fit okay or do they have to be bent or reworked in any way? Also how difficult would bit be to install this tail pipe? Getting it over the rear axle and thru the hole in the chassis looks rough. I have a lift available.

Local muffler shop quoted $175 to bend a replacement tail pipe (1 3/4 diameter) and install my muffler and the tail pipe. Sounds high.

Any installation advise will be appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

trjford8    -- 01-21-2013 @ 4:34 PM
  Go to the muffler shop and have them install the muffler and make you the tailpipe. It will save you a lot of time and trouble. It will be done correctly and if there is a problem(rattle, leak, etc.),they will fix the problem. If you install the pipe and it doesn't fit,rattles or leaks then you will have to go to the muffler shop and have them fix it anyway.

supereal    -- 01-21-2013 @ 4:44 PM
  Amen, brother Tom! At our shop, we outsource exhaust work, particularly on collector cars. Ready made pipes seldom fit properly, and the price quoted is more than fair. We specify stainless tail pipes for old vehicles which are lightly driven. They will outlast ordinary pipes several times.

Henryat1140    -- 01-22-2013 @ 4:28 PM
  Before you get too far into this project, check the placement of the inlet and outlet pipes on the replacement muffler.

There has been a ongoing problem with an "A" style muffler and a "B" style. One of these has the outlet pipe attached so it is not possible to install the muffler. (you can guess how we know this?)

It's not an insurmountable problem, but will definitely make it a cut and fit project.

Searching here and Fordbarn.com should turn up several threads on this subject with more details.

Mike Kubarth would also be a good source for info. He hangs out here and in the '40 Ford Section

joe shell    -- 01-23-2013 @ 3:32 PM
  Thanks to all for the advice. Had the muffler shop do the job yesterday. It was quite involved with plenty of bending and welding. Not really a do it yourself type of job.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5643