Topic: '38 Sedan Interior Help

madferraristi    -- 01-20-2013 @ 5:06 PM
  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm trying to remove the rear interior side panels to install new Glass.

Seat bottom and back are out. I asume next is the Arm Rest Panels. I see the "slide in "tabs" at the back end that are rusted into their straps. I have them freed up with Kroil. Started tapping on the back edge of the panel with a rubber mallet and it is moving forward but the panel itself is starting to deform. I've looked behind as best I can but don't see whatever else is holding them. Can someone tell me what I am looking for or better, what to do next.

(Cussin' didn't help!).

Mike

supereal    -- 01-20-2013 @ 6:12 PM
  In most cases, you have to remove the arm rests before the panels will come off. The panels may be fastened to the door frame with spring clips that slide into slots in the door panel, then the legs pop into holes in the door frame. The old fiberboard panels are usually fragile, and easily damaged, so be careful with your mallet. When replacing the panels, it is a good idea to tape plastic sheet over the inside face of the door to protect against moisture.

trjford8    -- 01-20-2013 @ 7:38 PM
  The panels are brad nailed to a tack strip that is under the windlace at the door opening. It may also be brad nailed at the rear of the panel or there may be a screw and finish washer that holds the rear of the panel. The arm rests are generally fixed onto the panel with screws and on the back side of the panel there is a large metal clip that drops into a slot in the metal body panel.
Use a tack puller to lift the panel over the brad nails at the front. Once the panel is loose lift it up at the rear so the armrest comes loose from the metal panel. To re-install the panel use new brad nails and re-nail the front of the panel. Drive the nails down past the cloth cover. If the nail does not go below the covering you can use a needle to pull the cloth over the nail head to hide the nail.

madferraristi    -- 01-21-2013 @ 9:52 AM
  Thanks for your response but this doesn't make sense to me. If it makes a difference, this is a 2 door (perhaps I should have indicated that).

The Armrest starts at the seat back and extends about 14" forward, less than half way to the door. When I get to my playroom a little later, I will check and see if there are brads but I am more inclined to think that there is a second "slide in" retainer near the front, inside the Armrest, similar to the one at the rear. I am quite sure that what is under the fabric is a formed sheet metal piece.

Mike

madferraristi    -- 01-22-2013 @ 5:27 AM
  Today I'm going to try to pop the spring fasteners loose down the edge of the panel at the door and see where that leads me.

Mike

madferraristi    -- 01-22-2013 @ 2:54 PM
  OK, the panel was nailed to a Tack Strip where it meets the door. I have all of the tacks clear and I am trying to remove the entire panel and armrest as a single unit and it is rock solid.

However, I discovered that with an almighty tug, the armrests will slide forwrd about 3/4" and then they stop solid and then won't go in any direction but back again. Don't know where to go from here.

Mike

madferraristi    -- 01-22-2013 @ 3:18 PM
  BINGO!!

Pull forward until it stops, then swing it upward and outward and off she comes. The second one was a piece of cake. It has a second attacment clip in the forward part that reaches through the Panel and attaches to the body.

This message was edited by madferraristi on 1-22-13 @ 3:20 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5636