Topic: '52/'53 V8 Dual Pipes Documentation

Big Red 51    -- 01-20-2013 @ 9:46 AM
  Is there any Ford documentation for factory or dealer installed dual pipes? I see claims ever so often re "factory" installed duals(pipes and manifolds). V8 Judging form seems to allow duals. AACA dis-allows.
Thanks, Don

ford38v8    -- 01-20-2013 @ 4:28 PM
  Don, there likely is documentation if you look for it, but not sure why would you need it? The V8 Judging Form is clear on the subject, and as I understand it, the AACA Judging process is subjective anyway, making a successful challenge unlikely.

Alan

trjford8    -- 01-20-2013 @ 7:49 PM
  Check with Craig Gorris (Notherrn Ohio Regional Group). He has completed the 1952-53 restoration manual, but has not been printed yet. Craig is in the roster and can give you a definitive answer on this subject. I do know that Pat Rooney makes a repo left side manifold for the 52-53 cars for dual exhaust. The manifold is a copy of a Ford part.

Big Red 51    -- 01-21-2013 @ 6:50 AM
  Thanks Alan and Trjford for the input.
I had the '53 at Hershey last fall and the AACA judge actually came back to my car, saying he felt bad about deducting for the duals and asked if I had any documentation, which I didn't. When I got my car in 2011, it had Fenton headers which I expect to take a point(4) deduction for at the V8 meet in Gettysburg next year.
I will check with Craig on the details. Look forward to seeing the '52/'53 Book.
Regards, Don

Grant    -- 01-22-2013 @ 5:15 PM
  Hopefully the following documentation will be of some use.

Page 9 in Section 94 of our FoMoCo Passenger Chassis Catalog lists a 1952 exhaust manifold described as:

"L.H.-used w/ dual exhaust"

The Part Number shown is EAB 9431-A

As I type this response, a new old stock one is sitting on my lap.

It says "FoMoCo" and "EAB 9431 A" on the underside of the casting.

Would you like to see photos of the manifold and/or factory Ford parts book ?

Big Red 51    -- 01-23-2013 @ 5:48 AM
  Grant,
A copy of the picture and page would be great. You can PM me with that or post here..
Thanks very much,
Don

Grant    -- 01-23-2013 @ 4:11 PM
  I'm going to attempt to add three photos to this discussion.............

Grant    -- 01-23-2013 @ 4:13 PM
  Second photo.........

Grant    -- 01-23-2013 @ 5:06 PM
  If I have managed to put the three photos onto this site correctly, you should be able to see upper and lower views of the new old stock EAB9431-A dual exhaust manifold as well as a photograph of the parts catalog which lists it.

In the lower view, I used a fine cut file to clean the rust off all the letters and numbers which form part of the casting. Can you read them ?

The manifold is the sixth item from the bottom of the page. I've used a red martini toothpick to point at it.

Once the photo is opened, left click once and if your computer works like ours, you should get an enlargement.

Probably a copy of this page would be helpful in demonstrating to a Judge that this is a factory correct option in 1952 and 1953 (and 1954 in Canada for the Ford and Meteor passenger cars).

I would be pleased to mail you a copy of the Parts Catalog page. And the photos too, if you want them.

Send me your address via email. I'm at flatheadfleming@hotmail.com.

Same for any other member......free copies for the asking, as long as you are in the Roster.

You might also like to go to Google or some other search mechanism and type in EAB9431-A.

Our computer goes directly to a Bob Drake advertisement for reproductions of this manifold.

If you can see that ad, note that it says "each includes block-off plate for RH exhaust manifold crossover-pipe inlet".

That leads to the next important question :

What is the correct manifold for the other side of the engine ?

If Bob is right.....and I'm not saying he isn't.....then a block-off plate could simply be installed on the passenger's side and presto, instant factory-correct dual exhaust.

According to our catalog that would be the plain old 9430 which was first used on the 1949 models.

Certainly that would be an easy thing to do......at the factory, at a dealership, or as a do-it-yourself project at home.

But, throughout the MANIFOLD-EXHAUST section, there is no listing for such a plate. At least not that I can see. Lots of bolts and nuts and washers and studs......but no plate.

Likewise, there is no listing for a "R.H. - used w/ dual exhaust" manifold.

I've been wondering about this subject for a long time.

On two occasions......once on a '52 or '53 Victoria and once on a '53 Anniversary convertible, I saw dual exhaust systems that used a manifold on the passenger's side which was similar in design to the EAB9431-A. They had clearly been intended for dual exhaust only, and were very different from a "normal" 9430.

My purpose at the time in examining those dual exhaust set-ups was to install an identical exhaust system on our '52 Ranch Wagon. To date that still hasn't been accomplished.

So what gives ? What could that fancy right side manifold be ?

I think its original application was on a truck. That's what I've bought to go on the '52 wagon.

Maybe there is another EFV8 member out there somewhere with a 1952 or 1953 Ford that has what looks like factory dual exhaust on it ? Could we please see photos ?

This message was edited by Grant on 1-23-13 @ 7:31 PM

JT Ford    -- 01-24-2013 @ 4:44 PM
  The fellow that is selling the new re-cast left manafold includes the block-off plate for the right side.

Don Rogers    -- 01-24-2013 @ 8:46 PM
  Here's the first of 3 pages of information on the dual exhaust option for 1953 Fords. It is a copy of item 549 of Ford Product Information Sheet P-168.

Don Rogers    -- 01-24-2013 @ 8:47 PM
  Page 2

Don Rogers    -- 01-24-2013 @ 8:48 PM
  Page 3

Don Rogers    -- 01-24-2013 @ 8:52 PM
  The above information on Dual exhausts came from The Early Ford V-8 Clubs soon to be published (April 2013) 1952-53 Ford Book by Craig Gorris and Ray Beebe

Big Red 51    -- 01-25-2013 @ 9:07 AM
  Don,
Thank you very much for the Product Info pages. Craig had posted the second page plus pictures. You made my file complete, only on the Ford V8 Forum can you get this type of correct info.
Good information, I am sure there are others looking for this detail for judging purposes.
Do you know when the '52/'53 Book will be printed?
Again, Thanks
Don H

TomO    -- 01-26-2013 @ 8:48 AM
  Because that notice was published in March of 1953, does that mean the judging sheets will be changed to eliminate dual exhausts on the 1952 and early 1953 models?

It doesn't seem likely that any 1952 cars would have been delivered with dual, based on the date of the letter.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5634