Topic: Bendix clunk.

Gary M.    -- 01-19-2013 @ 5:27 PM
  Hi Guys, I had to replace the starter drive on my 39 Standard last year after it locked up upon starting. The starter cranks well and strong, however, after the engine starts there is a loud clunk from the starter as I take my finger off the starter button. I put the starter back in the same way that it came out and didn't notice any shims. Should there be shims of any sort or any adjustments made after installation? The starter shaft is straight and there are no damaged teeth on the flywheel. Any suggestions ? Thanks....

supereal    -- 01-19-2013 @ 8:59 PM
  Has you car been changed to 12 volts?

Gary M.    -- 01-20-2013 @ 4:58 PM
  The car is presently running on its original 6v system. When I purchased the car it was set up as what the seller called a 6v 12v system. There was a 12v battery and a 12v alternator for starting purposes only. The rest of the car ran on the 6v system. This was the sellers way of getting around the fuel and electrical problems that were causing hard starts. Once I rewired the entire car and replaced the entire fuel system front to back , the car started and ran fine.

supereal    -- 01-20-2013 @ 6:20 PM
  If the six volt starter was operated on 12 volts, it or the starter drive was likely damaged because the higher voltage slams the drive into the ring gear. If the ring gear isn't damaged, I'd be surprised. In any case, the drive is likely in need of replacement. Be sure the forward end of the starter is fastened to an oil pan bolt with a brace. If the brace is missing, they are available. The former owner went to a lot of expense to "jerry rig" the system instead of fixing it.

Gary M.    -- 01-20-2013 @ 8:01 PM
  The entire drive has been replaced with a brand new unit. I had to replace it after it locked up because the drive gear cracked and the bendix spring broke.The bracket on the back of the starter is in place. It does crank smoothly, but upon release of the starter button there is a clunk. Im concerned that the drive will break again.

alanwoodieman    -- 01-20-2013 @ 8:29 PM
  did you use one of the new rubber bushing bendixs? I have one on my truck and it makes a clunk but the original on my wagon does not

supereal    -- 01-21-2013 @ 9:29 AM
  Be sure that the starter shaft doesn't have excessive runout. That is, the shaft must spin evenly. We see that problem mostly on trucks in our shop, but if there is any bend, the drive will hang up and clunk when it gets loose. That can explain why the gear cracked.

Gary M.    -- 01-21-2013 @ 5:35 PM
  The drive that I installed is the same as the one that was there originally . No rubber bushings. I guess ill have to take the starter back and check it more thoroughly. Thanks for the input guys.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5630