Topic: 1940 Generator

OLDTMR    -- 01-16-2013 @ 12:38 PM
  I have a question, what should the proper colors be on both ends of the generator knowing the main body is black of course. The car I have came with silver (each end) and it is a former Dearborn winner. Would this be correct ? Why I ask is there is a beauty for sale at RK Motors in Charlotte, N.C. and the engine appears to have an all black unit. Bob

40guy    -- 01-16-2013 @ 2:06 PM
  I'm pretty sure the body and front is black and the back is plain{silver}
My car is a Dearborn car and thats the way it is and I have not had any points deducted for the generator.

kubes40    -- 01-16-2013 @ 7:06 PM
  Being a former Dearborn winner doesn't necessarily mean the car is correct in every way.
In fact, depending on the judges the day it was reviewed may mean very little at all.
The car you sight is a perfect example of this. Simply inspecting the vehicle from RK MOtors (on-line photos) I could easily deduct 50 points and remove the Dearborn status of this supposedly "correct restoration".
40Guys statement in regard to his car's improperly finished generator passing the judges scrutiny numerous times serves as only yet another example to bolster my aforementioned opinion.
I always advise a person interested in purchasing a collector vehicle to get a thorough inspection done by a person VERY familiar with that particular make & model.
Generators on 1940 Fords were painted as an assembly. The two posts were masked prior to painting. In other words, the entire generator was black sans the posts.
More often than not, generators on 1940 Fords are not truly 1940 units (yes, the cases are date coded) and perhaps 90% of those I have inspected have improper pulleys.

This message was edited by kubes40 on 1-17-13 @ 5:43 AM

OLDTMR    -- 01-17-2013 @ 5:49 AM
  Thanks to both who replied with input. Had I thought more about it, I would have referred to the available info in "the V8 affair" as well as "Loran's" Ford Factory pictures on the assembly line. Nice to get peoples input just the same and thanks again, Bob

kubes40    -- 01-18-2013 @ 6:42 AM
  Just a tiny bit of advice:
Factory photos are great when researching our Fords. However, one must always keep in mind that many factory photos were staged and did not necessarily depict the reality of the assembly line. Be cautious!
"The V8 Affair" is a very nice book. And, it provides us with numerous nicely detailed photos. One short coming is the fact it is full of inaccuracies. Again, be careful!

40 Coupe    -- 01-19-2013 @ 4:42 AM
  Photos were often taken by ford to document unusual events. I have seen Ford factory photos of prototype cars as well as commercial cars with special features.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5625