Topic: Cylinder Head Coolant Leaks

carcrazy    -- 01-16-2013 @ 10:19 AM
  In the process of assembling a V8-60 engine I have encountered leaks at several of the cylinder head nuts. After mounting the engine on a test stand I installed the coolant, three plus gallons of distilled water and a bottle of water pump lube. After the engine had sat for several hours I noticed coolant on the ground and traces of coolant around several of the nuts. I have used all new studs and nuts for this engine. I notice that the threads on the new studs extend further down the studs on each end than the originals did. When I have the studs positioned so that I can get full thread engagement with the nuts, the studs are loose in the block so that they can be moved from side to side. What is the best sealant to use on the stud threads that fit into the block to ensure a coolant-tight seal. Any advice would be appreciated.

supereal    -- 01-16-2013 @ 10:47 AM
  It is not unusually to have one or more "wet studs" after replacing them. The threads in the block are always worn, and if anyone used a threading tap, instead of a "clean up" tap, further enlarging the holes occurs. If the studs are loose in the block, it is unlikely that any sealant will fix it. The best remedy is to have a good machine shop install helicoils in the offending positions. Old cast iron is trying to revert to iron ore, making the machined parts fragile. With good blocks scarce and expensive, particularly for the 60, it is well worth the cost.

carcrazy    -- 01-16-2013 @ 2:37 PM
  Super, Thank you. I was hoping for an easier fix. What do you think of simply adding a bottle of Bar's Stop Leak to the coolant?

supereal    -- 01-16-2013 @ 5:31 PM
  From your description, I doubt any stop leak wwould be a permanent repair. I'd certainly use it after the basic problem is addressed. The most concerning part is saying the studs are loose in the block. If you can deliver the engine to a machine shop, it shouldn't be overly expensive. Just hope that the block can accomodate the helicoils.

TomO    -- 01-17-2013 @ 8:37 AM
  I agree with Supereal. If you are having a leak without any pressure and the engine is at room temperature, no stop leak is going to do much good.

Leaking around the studs, indicates loose studs and you are not going to get very accurate torque readings and the studs may fail after you start driving the car.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5624