Topic: 1940 Ford clutch pedal question

rdevarga    -- 01-16-2013 @ 8:01 AM
  My clutch pedal has wallored out from the years of use with no bushing. My original part for a 40 pickup is stamped 01A-7520-A1. I found a used replacement that is stamped 01A-7520-A2, per the seller.

Is this possible? And can I use the A2 model to replace my A1?

Thanks,
Richard

Richard deVarga
Austin Texas

40guy    -- 01-16-2013 @ 8:36 AM
  According to the "green book", the parts do not have the exact same shape. Usually that means not interchangeable, but I'm sure someone else will weigh in on the subject.

deuce_roadster    -- 01-16-2013 @ 8:52 AM
  Richard, have you considered taking the pedal you have to a machine shop and asking how much it would cost to bore the hole round and make a brass or bronze bushing to fit the shaft or better yet also replace the shaft? I think the shafts are very inexpensive to buy. The cost might not be too much more then buying another pedal+shipping. You would at least know the pedal would be the correct one.

40 Coupe    -- 01-16-2013 @ 10:22 AM
  The suffix "A" indicates there was a modification to the initial part (with no suffix letter) the number after the suffix letter indicates the parts were made by two different Mfg. I would think they are interchangable. I agree to have your pedal repaired is better than changing. If the damage is not too great you can fill the errosion with Devcon Plastic steel and when hard take a reamer and make the hole round again and then install the new bushing. There are other ways, such as a repair sleeve if they are made to the proper I.D.

supereal    -- 01-16-2013 @ 10:40 AM
  Bushings are available for your pedal. C&G (800-266-0470) has them as part # 01A-7526 for your car, $3 each two required. I recommend the 01A-7506-S kit, $17.50, as it contains all the bushings, as well as the pedal shaft. If the pedal bushings are badly worn, you can bet the shaft is, too. If you go to the trouble of rebushing the pedal, it is time to do the whole job. Usually, the grease fittings on the pedals were neglected, resulting in problems. When I bought my '47, the previous owner had scr*w*d pieces of rubber on both sides of the pedal slot in the floorboard to prevent scr*ping because the pedal bushings were shot!

rdevarga    -- 01-16-2013 @ 3:04 PM
  Gentleman:

Thank you. I went and checked my pedal shaft. It was lopsided from the pedal wear as well. Ordered new pedal shaft and bushings and have decided to take assembly to machine shop to have new shaft set in frame bracket and ask shop to do work as required to make bushings sit correctly in pedal arms. Maybe $15 in parts thus far.

Richard deVarga
Austin Texas

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5623