Topic: Correct '34 battery installation ?? ....

chas34    -- 01-05-2013 @ 8:19 AM
  Is a grommet supposed to be used for the ground strap thru the frame to the u-joint connection ??? The restoration manual doesn't show one installed, yet all the other books (and suppliers) call for one ... also, the manual shows the negative cable to have a straight/inline connector yet , once again, every thing else that I find (including the reproduction suppliers) shows the cable end to be at a 90 degree angle to the cable (some with a Ford logo stamped on it) ... what is correct for both items for the concourse inspection??? ... One more thing, the manual shows a standard nut and flat washer used on the hold- down yet Ford bolts (Roy) provides a special tall nut for this use ... I just want it to be correct ... help me ...

1934 Ford    -- 01-09-2013 @ 5:49 PM
  While I'm no expert on judging, I'm in my 41st year of 1934 Ford ownership. We've always enjoyed the cars as vehicles and did not persued any National Judging. In that time we've owned many 34's and can only tell you about the ones we've owned.
None of them had a grommet on the ground strap, or a
90 degree bend in the cable end. Also none retained a special bolt of the connection of that strap.
While most were my own restorations, the Phaeton was done by none other than Dale Bliss at Obsolete Ford Parts as his personal car in the early 1970's to top drawer caliber. It didn't had those items either.
They may be correct, but I've not experienced them.
Let's ask a 1934 Judge from the EFV8CA to reply.

1934 Ford's since 1972

chas34    -- 01-17-2013 @ 6:33 PM
  Thanks for the response ... I finally contacted the Chairman of the '34 division of EFV8 and he cleared the issues for me ... exactly as you stated: no grommet, straight end connection on the battery cable (the 90 degree one is for the '35 -'36) and non-commital on the hold-down nuts ... once again, thanks

3w2    -- 01-17-2013 @ 6:51 PM
  Chairman of the '34 Division? I suspect that existence of either the division or its chairman would come as something of a surprise to the powers that be within the Club.

trjford8    -- 01-18-2013 @ 7:44 PM
  I suspect he contacted the 34 advisor and used some terminology that that did not properly describe the person he contacted.

chas34    -- 01-31-2013 @ 7:21 AM
  Sorry, didn't mean to start a political issue ... I did mean the ADVISOR for the '34 (as shown in the EFV8 Times) ...

chas34

1934 Ford    -- 02-01-2013 @ 7:15 PM
  Chas 34,
I knew what you meant. Welcome to the V8 Forum.
This is a place to share opinions and knowledge of
the Early Ford V8's.
I hope you enjoy it and in time be helpful to others.
I think the Forum is a great thing for the hobby.

1934 Ford's since 1972

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5590