Topic: Remember me

1934 Ford    -- 01-05-2013 @ 3:42 AM
  Three years ago when we went to this new web site format, we lost the "Remember Me" option on sign in.
There was some discussion about that being a future enhancement possibility.
Any word on it or has it escaped me. Did I miss it?
Not a big deal, but a nice feature if available.

jim5618    -- 01-05-2013 @ 7:12 AM
  I agree!

trjford8    -- 01-05-2013 @ 10:07 AM
  Go to "preferences" and scroll down to "store user name and password" that should do it.

ford38v8    -- 01-05-2013 @ 8:29 PM
  No, it does not do it. One big reason this website gets little use. Guys get tired of constantly logging in again anf again.
...And, apparently, Bruce has gotten tired of answering emails about the issue.

Alan

dansford    -- 01-06-2013 @ 7:11 AM
  I also get tired of signing in there should be a better system. dansford

trjford8    -- 01-06-2013 @ 8:31 AM
  The signing in each time did not bother me , but apparently I may be in the minority. I have sent an e-mail to the webmaster and copied the National President. We will look into this issue. Bear in mind that the particular program that manages the site may not support keeping a person logged in from day to day.
Just for info I get statistics from the webmaster each month and he stays very busy deleting spam , answering questions, and providing general maintenance to the site.You have no idea how much spam and other junk mail comes to the site in a one month period. The webmaster is a "one man band" and a volunteer to boot, so be patient as we attempt to make changes for the benefit of the members.

efv8    -- 01-06-2013 @ 9:37 PM
  In most cases, sign-on rememberances are created by your pc/computer creating 'cookies'. These 'cookies' are quick refreshes and trails back to where you have previously been. Most technical service repair places recommend that you do not use 'cookies' as they 'stack up' and slow down your system. The last time my machine was into the 'repair garage' they recommended I leave the 'cookie' creator off. Also, check to see if Microsoft has sent a software upgrade to your machine recently. That too, may have turned off the 'cookie' creator.
I will tell you one thing -- as Web Administrator one of the things I deal with is members forgetting their ID and password. So, not to make a joke of this, but it maybe a good means to help you remember your ID and password by having to enter it everytime you sign on.
We appreciate your use of the Early Ford V-8 Forum and thank you for your questions and answers for everyone.

Bruce Nelson
Early Ford V-8 Club
Web Administrator

51f1    -- 01-07-2013 @ 11:36 AM
  I used to be able to sign-in w/o entering my name and password. When I accessed the site, they were already entered, and I merely hit return. All of a sudden about a year ago, the entries disappeared, and, now, I have to enter my name and password if I want to reply to a post. That sure is irritating, and I hope something will be done about it. There is something about this site that will not allow it to remember names and will not let my computer remember my password. I know it's not my computer settings as I don't have to do that on other sites. My computer is set to accept cookies.

Richard

This message was edited by 51f1 on 1-7-13 @ 11:37 AM

dixiejak    -- 01-07-2013 @ 1:31 PM
  Stroker your absolutely right about the "knee action" shocks on the old Chevys. They were on the 1934 and 1935 Chevy Master Deluxe, and what a bomb. When they went out, the front end of the car looked like the bottom of the front wheels decided to squat out about 25 degress, and they were humongous size shocks, making them easily identifiable, so buyers would look for a same year used Chevy in the Standard models, that did not have knee action.

trjford8    -- 01-07-2013 @ 6:34 PM
  I sign in to the site each morning and it allows me to stay signed in all day until I turn off the computer. I can go back and forth from this site to my home page and it does not sign me out.

Wolfie    -- 01-10-2013 @ 7:36 PM
  I had my computer hacked last week and one of the things my computer guy did was install "last pass". It is a free password manager and form filler that is supposed to be easy and secure. Now when I log onto this site, my user name and password automatically is entered. You do have to sign in with last pass. I am not very familiar with this program yet so can't offer any more information. It does seem like a great program and may be an answer to your question.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5588