Topic: Babbitt or inserts?

Ralph E    -- 01-02-2013 @ 6:40 PM
  Looking at possible purchase of what is stated to be a 1936 flathead, with bell housing, no tranny. It is a V8-85 type, 21 stud head engine. I was told this year had insert bearings. I don't really know any facts about this but I would have guessed babbitt was used to a later year. My question is to know in what year, or engine model Ford started using insert bearings in rods and mains. Thanks for any info.

JM    -- 01-02-2013 @ 7:23 PM
  I have read that some insert bearing engines were used in late model year '35 production and also limited use throughout '36 production along with Babbitt main engines until the end of '36 model year production. Beginning with '37 production a new 21 stud block/engine with insert mains and water pumps located in the block instead of the heads was introduced. This engine was used into early '38 production until the introduction of the 24 stud block/engine.
So, because an engine was used in '36 model year production does not mean that it will definitely have insert main bearings. The quickest way to spot an insert engine is to measure across the studs for the main caps. An insert engine will measure approx. 3-1/4" center to center across those studs while a Babbitt bearing engine will measure approx. 3" at that same location. I have found two LB engines in recent times and neither was marked with an LB on the surface where the intake manifold mounts.
I have no idea when Ford started using insert rod bearings.

JM

This message was edited by JM on 1-3-13 @ 12:31 PM

ford38v8    -- 01-02-2013 @ 8:07 PM
  Ralph, the insert engine began in '36, and was supplied along with the babbitt engine for the remainder of the year. As you may surmise, the insert engine is much preferred, as it is very difficult and expensive to find a bulder who pours babbitt. The insert engine is confirmed only by the removal of the pan to examine the mains. A hand stamped "LB" may be located on the valley surface, burt then, anyone can do that, so best to confirm before laying out the bucks for a so-called LB.

Alan

Ralph E    -- 01-03-2013 @ 8:06 AM
  Thanks for the useful info!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5584