Topic: 40 Ford convertible and door alignment

Olyn    -- 01-02-2013 @ 12:59 PM
  A few weeks ago I posted my problem with my 40 Ford convertible and the doors not aligning properly with the top up; i.e the gap closes in on top of each door. This was after having the body work completely redone and all the old bondo and fiberglass patches removed. I have since learned that the convertibles had a heavier frame than the closed cars in 1940. Thus, if in an earlier restoration (which was done in 1964)the frame may have been replaced with a closed door frame which is not as heavy/stiff as that on the convertibles. I plan to have 1/16" steel plates welded into the inside of the frame rails on each side to provide the needed strength to stiffen up the frame.

kubes40    -- 01-02-2013 @ 4:07 PM
  Weld plates to the frame? What?
As I recall you stated the doors fit well before the top was installed. After? Not so well. From that we are able to deduce that the only change was the top being installed. SO... that means the top is too tight. Period.
The closed car frame was only .010" thinner than the open car frame. If your car was "restored" with a closed car frame, I could maybe (that's a BIG maybe) understand if the doors began to sag after the car was driven a number of miles down bumpy roads. However, your problem came about right after the top was installed.
It appears you are chasing the problem vs. attempting to repair the root cause.
Might I suggest you go back to the folks that installed the top and demand they do it correctly the second time around?

woodiewagon46    -- 01-03-2013 @ 4:08 PM
  I agree with Kubes40. Im sure everyone has their own way of shimming a body but this is how I did my roadster. First I shimmed the body (and it can get very tedious) until I was happy with the door gaps and the hood line. On some cars the body height can also affect the front fender alignment. I then installed my top irons and adjusted the windshield header and locks to fit without binding or excess tension. When you are happy everything fits, then and only then should you have your top installed. Can you imagine the pressure you are putting on the rear of your body to pull in the quarter panel into the doors!! If everything worked before the top went on I agree with Kubes and start there.

woodiewagon46    -- 01-05-2013 @ 9:58 AM
  Olyn, as to your top problem, I was with a friend who owns a '47 convertible this AM and he said there adjustments you can make to the top to make it fit. Neither of us know if the "40 and '47 tops are the same but according to him his top has eccentric bolts in the top irons and a bracket on each side of the frame to actually move the angle of the cowl back and forth, have a look!

supereal    -- 01-05-2013 @ 10:50 AM
  That's true, except the eccentric bolts can't compensate for a top that is too tight at installation. The cowl angle bolts are under that area on a frame bracket. They can tilt the cowl enough to provide good door fit, but again, a too tight top can't be rectified. A competent top installer first adjusts the door clearance, then adjusts the eccentric bolts to allow the top header to fall directly onto the dowels on top of the windshield assembly. A good friend of mine had a top put on his '48 convertible and found that his doors wouldn't open with the top up! I agree with Mike that the only cure for this problem is to have the top replaced correctly. I've seen too many top replacements bungled to believe otherwise.

deuce_roadster    -- 01-05-2013 @ 10:52 AM
  Olyn, the last thing you want to do to a Ford frame is weld plates to it. Commonly called "fish plates" you often see them added on truck frames. The original unmolested frames lasted because they were made of good steel and could flex. Once you fish plate the side and it no longer can flex it will crack and break. It might sound like a good idea but it isn't. I have a 40 convertible, wagon and coupe and I can't measure any difference in the frame metal thickness. The convert and wagon have an extra brace under the cowl and some hole differences in the back but I wouldn't worry about the frame if it is sound. Listen to Kube, adjust or maybe even replace the top.

fla48    -- 01-05-2013 @ 6:50 PM
  Good advise all around. Don't create a problem by undoing what was already a good fix.

kubes40    -- 01-06-2013 @ 5:55 AM
  Duece, In the "real world" I too have noted original, number matching frames beneath convertibles that were the same thickness as closed cars. Although the convertible did in fact have a thicker frame designed and released, I wonder and am willing to bet numerous closed car frames got beneath many open cars in the production "real world".
Your advice about welding plates to a frame is great, makes perfect sense, and something that had not (embarrassingly) came to my mind. I have been fortunate in that I have not found the need to repair a frame. However, should that happen, I will not forget your advice.
I continue to learn from you and am grateful for both you and the acquired knowledge i get from you

This message was edited by kubes40 on 1-6-13 @ 6:03 AM

1946forddeluxe    -- 01-06-2013 @ 6:13 AM
  i have the same problem with my 1946 ford super deluxe.i live in mass
and trying to find a qualifeied shop to do the work in impossible let me know how you makre out.If anybody knows out a shop in mass i am at edso50@aol.com

supereal    -- 01-06-2013 @ 7:53 PM
  LeBaron Bonney used to install tops. They are in Mass. I don't know if they still do. If not, they would know who does it right. 1-800/221-5408.

This message was edited by supereal on 1-7-13 @ 10:04 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5582