Topic: 35 transmission cover fitting issues

wilmalcolm    -- 01-01-2013 @ 10:01 AM
  Hi,
Happy New Year,
I am trying to fit a transmission cover to my old torque tube cover and new floor pans. As you can see from the photo there is about a 3/4 inch discrepancy between the transmission cover and the torque tube cover. I am not sure if the cover came from a 35 or not. I am thinking not. It fits in every other way except where shown. Is this the correct cover for a '35?

trjford8    -- 01-01-2013 @ 7:17 PM
  Because you are using repo parts it appears the torque tube cover may not be as high as the original cover. Repo parts are close, but not always the same as the originals. The trans cover looks correct to me. You may have to slice the torque tube cover and add some metal to bring it up to the correct height. Also there is a thin rubber gasket that seals between the two pieces.

wilmalcolm    -- 01-02-2013 @ 9:12 AM
  Hi,
the only repro parts are the pans, not the torque tube cover which is original. I'm attaching another image of three torque tube humps which all show he same dimension: 2" from the top to the bottom. Does anyone out there have an original '35/36 transmission cover and can measure that for me?
Would it help to send a picture of the transmission cover as well?

JM    -- 01-02-2013 @ 4:36 PM
  I have several original 35/36 transmission covers that I can measure for you. Will add these measurements later by editing this post.

Update...pictures just sent to you by email. Good luck!!

JM

This message was edited by JM on 1-3-13 @ 1:07 PM

wilmalcolm    -- 01-02-2013 @ 4:59 PM
  Thanks JM. I await your post.

JM    -- 01-02-2013 @ 5:08 PM
  I measured the tunnel opening on three '35's and one '36 transmission cover. The height (vertical) measurements ranged from 1-3/4" to 1-7/8" and the width (horizontal) measurements ranged from 5-1/2" to 5-3/4". I took pictures of all measurements. If you would like to see these, send me a pm with your email address. I hope this helps you understand what may need adjusting on your project.
Also, I went back and looked at the picture in your first post and it looks to me like there is a welded seam on the left side of your trans cover (can't see the right side) starting at the tunnel opening and running up along the side. Has this cover possibly been modified in the past?

Update...pictures just sent to you by email. Good luck!!

JM

This message was edited by JM on 1-3-13 @ 1:04 PM

ford38v8    -- 01-02-2013 @ 8:11 PM
  The attachment of the hump tube under the floor pan can account for more hieght difference than expected.

Alan

40 Coupe    -- 01-03-2013 @ 6:09 AM
  The 35 and 36 covers are different. The 35 transmission shift tower is slanted rearward and the 36 is straight. The large holes for the tower in the covers are at different positions due to the different towers.

wilmalcolm    -- 01-03-2013 @ 9:37 AM
  JM, yes I would like to see those images. My email is
willbrown@verizon.net
Also, yes you are correct in saying the cover has been modified, well as least is was repaired. I put a new piece on the left side as the original cover was rusted out. I thought I had duplicated it but maybe not.

wilmalcolm    -- 01-03-2013 @ 9:58 AM
  here is the cover with the old piece. I cut some wedges in the cover trying to make it fit. I guess I will have to do more. Is this a cover for a '35 or a '36? My transmission is a '36

flatheadfan    -- 01-03-2013 @ 1:18 PM
  This probably won't clear the air for you but when I removed the trans cover on my '35 coupe (at the time 19K original untouched miles), the rear fit of the cover looked like what you have in the picture of your original entry. It just didn't fit snug against the torque tube tunnel. There was nothing to fill the gap such as a seal.

At a later date I picked up a '35 repo cover (I believe it was from Early Ford Parts) and it fit like a glove, no gap. Better than the original cover that came with the car! Again, my '35 was an original non-touched car. The cover was not a sloppy reproduction.

As for what cover you have now, I "think" it is a '35. All of the '36 covers I have seen (I also have a '36) do not have the bolt hole in the back of the cover that allows for the cover to be tied to floorpan, the '35 has. Also, the '36 shift opening is located about 1" closer to the firewall than the '35 which is hard to discern unless you have a '35 cover handy for comparison.

Hope this helps.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5572