Topic: Transmission/Driveshaft U-Joint

V8JR    -- 12-30-2012 @ 9:36 PM
  What is the method and lube used to pack the transmission/driveshaft U-joint on an early ford V8. I am working on a '39 but assume all are similar. Any insight much appreciated - Jim

supereal    -- 12-31-2012 @ 7:10 AM
  The u-joint housing is filled via the grease fitting on the exterior of the cover. Using a good quality lube (We use Mystik JT-6)', pump in about two 14 oz tubes if the cavity is empty. The u-joint also receives oil from the transmission from leakage, so it emulsifies the grease somewhat. That is why we use a very sticky grease.

rotorwrench    -- 12-31-2012 @ 11:50 AM
  Some folks have been using John Deer corn head grease for the u-joint cavity. It is a semi-fluid grease that flows well with movement then stops flowing at rest and there are several other brands that are similar. The corn head gear boxes and sickle bar gear boxes on combine harvesters use it. It's a good replacement for the gear lube with soda soap that FoMoCo used to use for the u-joints.

JM    -- 01-01-2013 @ 10:16 AM
  If the universal area is still open, I would suggest applying a low temperature melt point chassis grease or JD Corn Head grease directly on and around the UJ. Some call this 'buttering'. It's best to do this before assembling the UJ dry and then trying to pump all the grease in through the zerk fitting. You should still pump some in through that zerk to get grease in between the bell on the torque tube and the inner bell.

JM

V8JR    -- 01-01-2013 @ 6:27 PM
  Thanks for the hints on servicing the U-joint - Jim

fenbach    -- 01-11-2013 @ 7:25 PM
  i found that removing [or loosening] the speedo cable turtle allows air to get out of the housing and lets you see when it is full.

1934 Ford    -- 01-12-2013 @ 6:56 PM
  Rotowrench said:
"Some folks have been using John Deer corn head grease for the u-joint cavity."
I've hear it mentioned for the steering box too, but When I ask for it, they just look dumbfounded.
Where can I get it?

1934 Ford's since 1972

dansford    -- 01-12-2013 @ 7:17 PM
  I purchased my at a John Deere dealer you can also Google it maybe purchase on line. dansford

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5569