Topic: 36 truck steering wheel

banjoQ    -- 12-30-2012 @ 9:26 AM
  I need to replace the steering wheel in the 36 pickup I recently found. The one in the truck, I believe is a Mercury from the period. Banjo type with flattened spokes instead of round. Seems to be too far gone to save. I am having some difficulty finding an original. My question is, does any one have any experience with the three spoke model offered by "Sullivans Garage". It claims to be for a 35 or 36. Taper fit with keyway. I would prefer an original, but will accept a reproduction if no other options are viable. I am just trying to avoid buyers remorse. I should say that I did see the banjo wheel in the classifieds. It looks to be a beauty, but at twice the price.

supereal    -- 12-30-2012 @ 11:49 AM
  C&G (800-266-0470) lists the steering wheel for the 35-36 truck as 68-3600-A, $185. It is the same as used in the standard model cars of those years. The first "banjo" style appeared in '37, according to my catalog,as 91A-3600, but was not used in the trucks, which was 78-3600 for 37-39. Mercury, as a brand, wasn't present in '36, as it debuted in 1939. The banjo style was popular, and it isn't rare to find them on vehicles that didn't originally carry them. Most original banjos are not in good shape. All good quality steering wheels are pricey. The catalog shows the replacement at $205. I paid more than twice that much for a NOS wheel for my '47.

JM    -- 12-30-2012 @ 1:22 PM
  Not sure which banjo wheel you actually have on your pu truck that would have flat spokes but would definitely not be a '36 Ford banjo wheel. Maybe if you could post a picture here someone could ID what you have. I can't answer your question on Sullivan's wheel, never saw one. I do see '36 original and reproduction (Drake) banjo wheels for sale on Fordbarn and eBay quite often. The originals will usually require some type of repairs. You could also consider using a later'37-'39 banjo on your '36 but would require changing to the appropriate year horn/light switch rod for fit and looks.
Note: the Ford banjo wheel was introduced in '36. It was used in production on some open model '36's. The reproduction non banjo wheels, pn 68-xxxx will work on both '35 & '36 BUT it is only show correct for '36. Original '35 wheels, pn 48-xxxx would have little raised ribs around the front surface. This would be the only show correct wheel used in '35 for passenger cars and light commercial vehicles since the banjo was not introduced until '36.

JM

This message was edited by JM on 12-30-12 @ 1:41 PM

banjoQ    -- 12-30-2012 @ 1:24 PM
  supereal- Thanks for the info on C&G. I looked it up and it looks similar to the one offered by "Sullivans". Seeing as they offer a complete line of products for early Fords, I will go ahead and order from them. I knew the wheel in the truck was not original, probably what was on hand back in '52 when they put this one back together. I prefer to stick with original as much as possible.

supereal    -- 12-30-2012 @ 3:17 PM
  You are welcome. The steering gears and shafts changed in the transition period around 35-36, but I believe the steering wheel ends stayed similar. The banjo wheels live on with those built for street rodders.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5567