Topic: Replacing front door glass in my 1935 fordor

Gary C    -- 12-29-2012 @ 6:05 PM
  I need some advise in replacing my new door glass. Do you screw in the regulator first, and then some how drop the window in, or do you somehow fix the window guides and reg rollers together first and then position the two? What roller goes in first, the front or back? Maybe knowing the correct sequence would help. The inner door is quite beat up, cut and welded up before. It looks like someone else had the same problem and just cut and patched it after it was together. Thanks for any tips, I need them. Cheers, Gary

trjford8    -- 12-29-2012 @ 8:08 PM
  Gary, let us know the year of the vehicle and the body style. Different years and body styles require different methods of installation.

Gary C    -- 12-30-2012 @ 12:37 AM
  Hi; Its a 1935 Ford 48 Fordor. Cheers, Gary

JM    -- 12-30-2012 @ 11:05 AM
  Gary, I have a detailed write up on how to replace '35/'36 door window glass. This was sent to me by a member of another forum so I don't feel like I can pass it on to someone else without conferring with him first. If you are interested in getting a copy, send me your email address and I will check with him to see if it is okay to send you a copy.

JM

JM    -- 12-30-2012 @ 11:10 AM
  Delete duplicate post.
Don't understand why this website always puts a duplicate post whenever I hit return on the key pad??

This message was edited by JM on 12-30-12 @ 11:22 AM

supereal    -- 12-30-2012 @ 12:05 PM
  Be sure that the regulator is, in fact, correct for the car. When we see a door that has been butchered, it was often done to mount a regulator from another model. I found that out when I restored my '47 convertible. That correct regulator is different from the closed cars, and very hard to find. It took me months to track one dowm, and then we had to rebuild it. My catalogs skip 35 and 36, so they may be hard to find, as well, and may explain finding the patching. You can compare the one on the other side to see if they match. It will be a mirror image.

Gary C    -- 12-30-2012 @ 4:39 PM
  Hi JM Thanks for your info, and yes I would very much like to see a detailed installation guide. I'll send you a PM. Thanks, Gary

This message was edited by Gary C on 12-30-12 @ 4:41 PM

dansford    -- 01-02-2013 @ 5:47 PM
  Hi John, sent you a PM

JM    -- 01-02-2013 @ 6:52 PM
  Gary and Dan, I sent an email to the guy who sent me those instructions. He has not responded back to me. If I don't get a response by the end of the day tomorrow, I will email this information to you tomorrow night or Friday morning.

Update...Info has just been sent by email to both of you. Good luck!!

JM

This message was edited by JM on 1-3-13 @ 12:55 PM

pudge    -- 05-05-2013 @ 5:42 AM
  I need this information also as I'm trying to do this on a 1936 5 window.
Can you help?
pudge43@frontier.com

JM    -- 05-05-2013 @ 8:50 AM
  Pudge, I'll email the info to you when I get back home tonight or tomorrow. I just put new Drake channels and new window in my '35 fordor front drivers door. This would basically be the same as a 5w coupe. I pretty much followed the instructions but did some things slightly different. It is all back together now and working very well.

JM

This message was edited by JM on 5-5-13 @ 8:51 AM

tommorookian    -- 05-06-2013 @ 4:23 AM
  http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77040&highlight=glass+channel

Most of the answer is in the fordbarn reply.

Use the old position of the glass channel to position the new one. It's critical or the rollers will drop out the ends of the channel.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5565