Topic: Phenolic spacer between carb and manifold

DEAN333    -- 12-28-2012 @ 6:17 PM
  Just looking for feedback on installing a phenolic spacer between the carb and manifold to prevent new gas from boiling in the carb. I have a '36 Deluxe Touring Fordoor.

TIM CARLIG

supereal    -- 12-28-2012 @ 8:16 PM
  The main generator of carb heat is the exhaust passages cast into the intake manifold. The intent is to aid vaporization of the fuel to aid combustion. Rather than adding insulation to the carb base, you can plug those passages. We used to use pennies for the purpose to add some tone to dual exhausts. So far,, the "new" gas hasn't presented a boiling problem, as the refiners closely control the "vapor pressure" of the fuel to lessen problems. If the current interest in increasing alcohol content proceeds, that may change. We have used carb base insulators on some modern engines, but not old ones. Fuel boiling is usually associated with "heat soak" when the engine is shut down. This causes evaporation in the carb, which can interfere with restarting. A good fuel pump usually cures that.

This message was edited by supereal on 12-28-12 @ 8:19 PM

JM    -- 12-28-2012 @ 11:02 PM
  There have been several good threads posted on Fordbarn regarding problems with ethanol enriched gas when used in early Ford Flathead powered V8's. G.M. (George Mitch*ll) has come up with some good ideas on how to reduce operating temperatures that normally occur at the fuel pump and carburetor. You should be able to find these threads by using the search function.

JM

JM    -- 12-28-2012 @ 11:04 PM
  Eliminate duplicate post.

This message was edited by JM on 12-28-12 @ 11:07 PM

TomO    -- 12-29-2012 @ 8:12 AM
  If you are having flooding problems after your car warms up, you should check the fuel level in the carburetor. The phenolic spacer is just a band-aid.

Tom

DEAN333    -- 12-29-2012 @ 8:59 PM
  I'm not having any problems. I got new thermostats from Robert Shewmake and he included a picture of the spacer in the box, promoting the spacer. Was looking for feedback if it was a good idea to install when I take the '41 intake off to install the correct '36 intake.

TIM CARLIG

v8teditor    -- 12-31-2012 @ 12:59 PM
  From the next V-8 TIMES:
Always thinking of helping V-8 enthusiasts, tool and die maker Robert Shewman of Kimberton, Pennsylvania has come up with two new products to add to his popular flex fuel line for the Ford flathead.
Robert is now making a phenolic spacer to keep your carburetor cool when using ethanol based gas. Can be used with either Stromberg or Holley. A spacer kit comes with one spacer that fits between the intake manifold and the carburetor, two gaskets, and three longer studs which help with installation. Sells for $28/each ppd.

nelsb01    -- 12-31-2012 @ 1:17 PM
  In my limited experience, the gas is already hot by the time it gets to the carburetor. The ideal place for a 'spacer' would be the fuel pump. Most vapor lock occurs from the fuel pump to the carb. Or why else would everyone recommend putting a cold rag on the fuel pump and gas line to carb when you experience vapor lock?

supereal    -- 12-31-2012 @ 2:02 PM
  More often than not, "vapor lock" is actually caused by an overheated coil, usually an old one that hasn't been rebuilt with modern materials. The one place where alcohol laced gas is causing problems is in the gas line, itself. The original lines are 1/4", and when rust develops due to the oxygenated fuel, and deposits are loosened, fuel volume decreases in an already limited system. I have a rebuilt coil, and it flummoxed me as to why my car would buck and die now and then until I measured the fuel delivery and found it weak. A new gas line cured it for good. The copper inside coating had disappeared, and the line was so rusted that a wire couldn't be put thru. A carb spacer probably can't hurt, but the flatheads haven't needed them for eight decades.

DEAN333    -- 12-31-2012 @ 5:53 PM
  Correction, I meant Robert Shewman.

TIM CARLIG

TomO    -- 01-01-2013 @ 7:40 AM
  Tim, why would you want to fix a non-problem? Over the years, most of have found out that "if it isn't broke don't fix it" leads to having more fun with your car and less worry about it making the tour.

IMHO the Phenolic spacer is a solution looking for a problem or in other words a profit enhancing device.

Tom

DEAN333    -- 01-01-2013 @ 1:23 PM
  Tom, just wanted some feedback as to whether this was a necessary update.

TIM CARLIG

TomO    -- 01-02-2013 @ 10:55 AM
  Tim,

I have been driving my 40 Merc in all kinds of weather since 1976. I have never had vapor lock or gas boiling over after stopping. My car has a tendency to overheat in traffic and I still have not had the problem of gas boiling out of the carburetor when the float level was set correctly. Your 36 has better airflow through the engine compartment than the cars with the alligator hoods, so I would say that you probably don't need the spacer and if you did have boiling fuel problem, I doubt that the spacer would help.

The best solution to problems caused by the newer gas is to find a station that sells a lot of gas as it is more likely to be fresh. I would add a fuel stabilizer with every tank of gas to keep the fuel fresh.

Tom

DEAN333    -- 01-03-2013 @ 8:57 AM
  Thanks guys for your your feedback. It's great having a place to go to get help whenever it may be needed. Happy New Year to all.

TIM CARLIG

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5563