Topic: Brakes From Mac's Auto

JerryG    -- 12-25-2012 @ 9:18 PM
  Hi gang...Happy New Year. Are the hydrolic brake sets sold by Mac's Auto for '39-'48 Fords OK? It would seem from the price that they are foreign made. Please advise. Jerry G

TomO    -- 12-26-2012 @ 7:18 AM
  Jerry, I have not bought brakes from Macs. I usually by my brake cylinders from my local parts house. Rock Auto also sells brake parts. The brake shoes must be purchased from vendors that support the hobby.

It is becoming very difficult to find USA made parts for our cars. I have had problems with bleeding Chinese master and wheel cylinders and for that reason do not buy these items from mail order companies. There is nothing more frustrating to me than having to remove a new defective part and then wait more than a week to get its replacement.

Wagner still re-manufactures the master cylinder in the US and the last set of wheel cylinders (4 years ago) from them was USA made. Dorman still makes some of it brake partts in the US.

Tom

JerryG    -- 12-26-2012 @ 3:42 PM
  Thanks Tom. I suspected that the brake components I am looking at in the various catalogs are made overseas. Not many years ago, the catalogs indicated USA Made and Overseas next to choices...and V8ers said stay away from the non USA items. My guess is that my installed components will be balls of corrosion when I get everything open after 30 years of "sleeping", and blown rubber parts. I read about so many similar problems with materials and parts from parallel efforts like car builders, and craftsmen in other fields as well. Jerry G

trjford8    -- 12-26-2012 @ 7:58 PM
  Finding any brake parts made in the USA today is a real challenge if not impossible., I just went through this with some later model(70's) brake components. After a week of phone calls and trips to my local parts stores I gave up finding any USA made parts.Even the name brands are foreign made. Due to the limited market for our old Ford parts I doubt any of the brake parts are USA made. If you have some USA cores there are places that will re-sleeve your cylinders with stainless or brass sleeves.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5559