Topic: Engine Oil Capacity

LarryK    -- 12-24-2012 @ 3:22 PM
  What is the correct crankcase oil capacity for the 1939 Ford Deluxe with the 85 HP, 221 cubic inch, 24 stud engine? Everything I have seen says it should be 5 quarts. However, I have a reprint of a service manual (Canadian) that gives the capacity as 4 quarts. I would disregard this as an error, but at 5 quarts, the dip stick shows that the crancase is over-filled. The car does not have an oil filter.

Thanks,LarryK

johnh6813    -- 12-24-2012 @ 5:14 PM
  They are both the same amount . before Can, went metric our quart was, imperial measure, at 40 ozs per quart so 4 qts =4x40ozs 160ozs US measure was and still is 32 ozs per qt. 5 qts = 5x 32 160 ozs .Some times the dip stick can be different for different pans. I just put 4L in my 39 Merc.which is a little less than your 4 qts .Hope this helps John.

ford38v8    -- 12-24-2012 @ 6:09 PM
  Larry, for some reason unknown to historians, much of the Ford literature had been printed, or at least written, in the UK or Canada, and had expressed engine oil capacity in British Imperial quarts: 5 Imperial quarts is aproximaqtely equal to 4 US quarts.

Alan

supereal    -- 12-24-2012 @ 7:24 PM
  Four quarts without a filter, five quarts with one. After draining and refilling, check the dipstick reading. If not at the full mark, remark it accordingly. Overfilling will cause leakage, at least, and engine damage at worst.

This message was edited by supereal on 12-24-12 @ 7:25 PM

kubes40    -- 12-24-2012 @ 7:27 PM
  You will with little question get a lot of responses that will tell you four (US) quarts. I can tell you with certainty that the engineering drawings of the oil pan are quite specific... FIVE US QUARTS.
Dip sticks were often swapped and very often the gasket at the top of the stick is long gone. Both of those malady's will effect the p[roper "reading".
An additional quart was NOT required for the optional filter, at least not through 1948.

ford38v8    -- 12-24-2012 @ 9:14 PM
  Mike, you are dead wrong on this one.

Alan

1934 Ford    -- 12-25-2012 @ 5:40 AM
  An old guy, who was probably younger than I am now, once told me that the main job of oil was cooling. And, that a little extra wouldn't hurt.
With my 21 stud engines, if 4 quarts meets the mark I made on the dip stick, I figure I didn't drain it long enough. Most times I add a little extra to get it exactly to my mark. That's the gauge to tell me not only if I've lost or burned some, but how clean the remaining oil is. I never need to add between changes that occur not based on miles, but color.
My Fords are like my VW's, they all mark their spot.
(Which makes me wonder why I never need to add oil.
Apparently an occasional drip makes a small mess with very little oil loss)

kubes40    -- 12-25-2012 @ 6:12 AM
  Good morning Alan,
I am only relating what the engineering drawings specify. At least in 1939 & 1940, the drawings specify five US quarts to fill.
I realize this is often an argumentative point.
Merry Christmas to you!

supereal    -- 12-25-2012 @ 7:32 AM
  If the oil level stays the same over time, it is likely that condensation and fuel is making up the difference. Lightly or seldom driven vehicles create this due to short trip use. Primitive crankcase ventilation adds to the problem. Overifilling swamps the primitive crankshaft seals, such as the slinger, coating the clutch assembly and your garage floor. If carried to the extreme, oil that reaches the crankshaft is whipped into a foam which causes the oil pump to lose prime, starving the bearings. The correct dipstick shows a range of sufficient oil level, rather than an absolute amount.

TomO    -- 12-25-2012 @ 8:17 AM
  I agree with Mike on this one. 5 US quarts will fill the pan to about 1/2 quart over the full mark on most dip sticks. In 49 they changed the design and capacity of the oil pan to 4 quarts without a filter. The dipstick still showed 1/2 quart over fill with the 4 quarts.

All Ford literature prior to 1949 specifies 5 quarts.

Alan read Johnh6813 reply. He give the correct relationship of Imperial to US quarts. Your explanation is backwards.

Tom

ford38v8    -- 12-25-2012 @ 9:24 AM
  Mike, ya got me. And Tom, I seem to remember now, dejavu on the same conversation some time back, you pointed out my backwards calculation then also!

Alan

TomO    -- 12-26-2012 @ 7:26 AM
  Alan, your memory is better than mine. I don't remember your backwards calculation.

I should have pointed out that the gasket on the dipstick is about 1/8" thick, so if your dipstick doesn't have one, you should adjust your reading accordingly.

Have a Happy and Healthy New Year.

Tom

LarryK    -- 12-27-2012 @ 7:11 AM
  Thanks to all. I should have recognized that the Canadian measurement would have been in Imperial quarts. I first ran into this when I was in the Navy and we bought fuel oil from the British in Hong Kong. It was confusing then and still is.

MG    -- 12-27-2012 @ 11:23 AM
  I bypassed "Ford's excess oil automatic release system" by reverting to Supereal's 4 qt's. fix......

This message was edited by MG on 12-27-12 @ 11:24 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5557