Topic: Tube Shocks conversion

EdB    -- 12-24-2012 @ 6:27 AM
  Thanks to TRJ & others for the Christmas Greetings...

Noticed that one of our preferred vendors [C & G] offers a bolt on kit to replace the knee action shocks. Before investing the time & money, wondering to what extent this improves the ride and handling. My car is a 41.

Again, many thanks.

trjford8    -- 12-24-2012 @ 7:14 AM
  Ed, from my perspective I prefer the tube shocks. If you are restoring the car and want to show it in Concourse, Dearborn ,or Rouge class then you should stick with the originals. If you have a touring type car, then I would convert to the tube shocks. It's my opinion that the tube shocks add more stability when cornering and generally give better ride control. When you need to replace them they are much cheaper to replace. In '48 Ford converted to tube shocks and I suspect it was for two reasons; the cars handled better and they were cheaper to produce. The competition had also gone to tube shocks.

TomO    -- 12-24-2012 @ 7:51 AM
  I have found little difference in the ride control between properly rebuilt lever shocks and the tube shocks.

TRJ is correct in saying that the cost of the tube shocks, including the kits is less than the cost of rebuilding the lever shocks.

It is your car and you should make any changes that you think will make it moer enjoyable to drive.

Tom

FFracer    -- 12-24-2012 @ 12:02 PM
  I looked on the C&G Site I was unable to locate the conversion... I would like to have a bolt-on tube shock to replace the knee actions on my 33 at least while I am putting around.

Chris

Stroker    -- 12-24-2012 @ 3:04 PM
  Guy's: Let's not call the Houdalle (pronounced Hoo-Die) shock absorbers "Knee Action".

Knee Action refers to a Che*rolet front suspension unit that came out in the late 30's. When these things wore out, the old Chebbies would look like a "bobble head" at stop signs. Ford never had, nor used the term "Knee Action". The correct term for the oem shocks would be "lever-action".

I've used both "levers" and "tubes" on my 38 in the last half century. Neither is superior to the other. Tube shocks are cheap, and simple; levers have to be serviced, and after a few decades, rebuilt. They both "WORK".

trjford8    -- 12-24-2012 @ 4:36 PM
  FFracer, call C and G to see if they have them. If they don't they can probably refer you to someone who does have them. Many of the streetrod shops have bolt-on kits for the 33-34 cars.

Gary C    -- 01-04-2013 @ 10:36 AM
  Just for your info so that you might be able to compare conversion kits, I've found another supplier in Portland Or. called Johnny Law Motors. Click on suspension parts, next to shocks/mounts, then scrol to your year. I hope this helps. Gary

This message was edited by Gary C on 1-4-13 @ 10:39 AM

'40Tudor    -- 01-04-2013 @ 11:16 AM
  Can someone provide information on rebuilding the oem shocks?

'40Tudor    -- 01-04-2013 @ 11:21 AM
  Good information. I have just taken delivery on a "40 Standard Tudor. The suspension is nice, but is original. I would like to rebuild/replace any worn items. Do you have any info on rebuilding the oem shocks?

supereal    -- 01-04-2013 @ 2:55 PM
  C&G shows the front and rear tube shock conversion kits on page 340 of their catalog. For '41, the front is 11A-181124 KIT, $212.95. The rear is 11A-18125-KIT, 212.95. Their online catalog is at cgfordparts.com. I know that there is a matter of difference on the performance of tube versus lever shocks, but I have always opted for tubes, as most old lever shocks hardly work, if at all. They must be rebuilt by an expert, and that is usually more expensive than converting.

47Fordor    -- 01-06-2013 @ 5:29 PM
  trjford8 - just a little FYI: Henry died in 47, after the 48's were already tooled and those "lever action" shocks (as well as buggy springs and the front-mount distributor) were on his list of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" items. I'm not sure whether it was '49 or '50 that they changed to tubes but I know for a fact that it was after 48.

Chris

This message was edited by 47Fordor on 1-6-13 @ 5:33 PM

trjford8    -- 01-06-2013 @ 7:19 PM
  Chris, I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but the 48 Fords had tube shocks. If you have the V-8 Club's 41-48 restoration manual you'll find the information on tube type shocks on page 4-8. The tube shocks actually began appearing on the cars in late 47.

supereal    -- 01-06-2013 @ 7:49 PM
  My August built '47 has tube shocks as original equipment. Henry died 4-7-47, so he couldn't object.

48-710    -- 01-06-2013 @ 9:28 PM
  Hi EdB,
I had my '35 Houdaille shocks rebuilt in MA by Bill Wzorek at a cost of $140.00 per shock plus shipping.I have not seen them yet, as they are in storage in FL, but Bill has had good reports over on the 'barn.If you wish to get in touch his email address is....wpwz@comcast.net. Hope this is of help.
Regards,Gary

supereal    -- 01-07-2013 @ 10:03 AM
  Another lever shock rebuilder is Apple Hydraulics.They have a web site applehydraulics,com They are located in NY state. 631/882-9515

fomocoloco    -- 01-07-2013 @ 10:19 AM
  when i replace the tube shocks on my 36, are there prefered shocks to ask for?

weezer

supereal    -- 01-07-2013 @ 12:15 PM
  contact C&G 800/266-0470. The length and type of tube shocks is important. Most parts places don't go back that far.

Jim Dojan    -- 01-07-2013 @ 12:55 PM
  I installed tube shocks off of a 47 onto my 41. I used both axles also as they are wider(stability). The 47 had front and rear sway bars plus front and rear side torque arms. For 15 inch tire useage, I have 49 Merc wheels.

trjford8    -- 01-07-2013 @ 6:30 PM
  weezer, if you can post the center to center length of the shock mounting points with the car sitting at ride height I can probably give you the correct shock to buy for your 36.I have some old shock books that have the compressed and extended length of the shocks. Ride height is usually half way between the two points. I'm assuming that your shocks have the loop type mount at each end.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5555